[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - My V6 Coupe - The continuing story.....
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ] 
 Post subject: My V6 Coupe - The continuing story.....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:27 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

The new forum is a good thing, of course, but it's such a shame that threads that tell a whole story, like my ponderous ramblings on the similarly named thread on the old forum, are now interrupted. I realise it is still possible to refer back to old threads, but I reckon few will.....

....anyway, wrong place for those kind of ramblings.....I'll continue with the story of my V6 Coupe.

Link:

http://p205.ezboard.com/fukhcsmessagebo ... =182.topic

I don't know if that link'll work.....

To date, bought in August, brand new. Colour Ocean Blue. Calipers and hubs painted and much head scratching into a change of wheels. Finally decided on Ace 216's with a wider offset than standard. Many photos on old thread.

Update: Not much happened during the last couple of months apart from awaiting the arrival on a new Tuscani Spoiler. This arrived a couple of weeks ago, the day before we went on holiday. We drove the car to Heathrow (from Dumfries) through the night on Boxing Day. Wonderful run, taking exactly 5 hours. With no incedent. The only possible problem developing with the car is a slight 'sing' from one of the rear wheel bearings. No problem just now. Fuel consumption a very pleasing 35mpg - cruising at 80mph.

Great skiing holiday and returned yesterday. Another good run up the road with a similar mpg and an increasing appreciation of just how good the Coupe really is. Super comfy, quiet (even with the quiet 'sing' from the back bearing) and economical.

3000 miles on the clock now and the new Tuscani wing being sprayed and fitted in the next few days. Pictures a plenty when it is on....you lucky people!

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:21 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

LOL what a topic that was on the old forum :) well i can't wait to see the tuscani spoiler on it, i got mine on and had a few problems but nothing too major. How does yours fix? are the bolts attached to the spoiler, or do they go from the boot lid into the spoiler?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:38 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:05 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

New Tuscani Spoiler back from the paint shop today! 2 days early. The guys have done a fantastic job on it - perfect colour! In fact the finish on it is considerably better than the finish on the car! Polished to perfection......

Fitting on Friday or Saturday. With pics.

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:12 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Is that going to be a long day Jimmy or are you leaving polishing the rest of the car 'til this evil road filth goes away?

Glynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:49 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Car's OK for polish. Done in November with Simonize Max Wax (I think) Good stuff.

Nope, a good wash'll do her then then the fitting photos, then a new photo session with her in all her finished(?) glory!

Prepare to be bored to death!

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:15 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Here are one or two (or three...) pre-assembly photos of the wing after painting.

The wing is called 'WILD' on the embossed bit underneath....

This shows how this Hyundai wing mounts. I believe this is different to the aftermarket ones fitted by others.

The paintjob is first class!

Will be doing the fitting on Saturday morning.

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:18 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Part 1 of the spoiler fitting guide!

This'll be really boring for nearly all of you, but I've always wanted to do a photo-guide thing and here's my chance!

The first thing to do is to get the cable for the light through the hole at the back and out through the hole in the left leg. I tried pushing it through, but the end never showed up at the leg hole!

So I tied a weight to a bit of string and popped that through. This worked a treat!

Just tied the string to the cable and pulled it through. Remove the backing from double sided tape on the light and bung it on. I need to steal the 4 light mounting screws from the current wing and the main mounting nuts to finish the job.

Part 2 tomorrow! (What fun)

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:21 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

I want one of those spoilers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:57 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Here we go then! Part 2.

First thing to do is to remove the plastic covered nuts that hold the wing on. Use a good fitting socket for this so you don't damage them. Then remove the left hand rear shelf lifter clip, (Circled).

Then remove the long plastic trim that runs down the left hand edge of the rear window. Carefully prise this off then pull the main tailgate plastic trim away about 6 - 8 inches. This will let you get at the wee connector for the tail light. You will need to press a tiny lever in the centre of the plug to release it. (Shown). You can now simply lift the old spoiler away!

Remove the 4 screws that hold the light on the old wing and pop them onto the new one.

You will notice that the origional wing has black self adhesive foam on the underside of the legs. This, I assume, is to help prevent damage to the paint. It could also be to prevent water from leaking underneath the wing and into the tailgate cavity. The new wing doesn't have these, so I popped two small foam pads on the underside to kepp the wing slightly off the paintwork, I'll watch like a hawk to see if any water is getting into the tailgate in which case I'll make some kind of seal to prevent this.

Pop the new wing on (carefully!) and feed the taillight cable through the outer and inner holes. Spin on the 4 main nuts and tweak them down quite firmly. Connect the plug for the taillight. If you look carefully, you'll see that there's a tiny gap between the wing and the tailgate surface, As I said previously, this may be the wrong way to do this, but I'll keep you posted. Pop the rear plastic trims back in and replace the rear shelf clip. TA DA!

PROBLEM! The foam pad on the bottom of the old wing has stained the paintwork on the tailgate surface! This has left a slight shadow (circled) which will not polish out! With the new wing on it os barely noticeable, but is still a bit of an irritation. It may fade in time....

Anyway, the car looks splendid! I have taken some proper photos of her with the new wing on which I'll post shortly.

Jimmy

Last edited by V6Jim on Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:27 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Here is the final product! This is pretty much as far as this project goes. I've thoroughly enjoyed doing the (limited) mods and subjecting you to far too many photos of my beloved vehicle.

Hope you like the photos, taken earlier today at the local crematorium!!! Lovely place though.

Comments most welcome!

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:57 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool :drool

Think that just about sums it up mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:10 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

That will ding dang do me - most splendid! :D

Post subject: Spoiler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:18 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:31 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:42 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:56 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Looks really nice. why dont the british ones come with that spoiler?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:11 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

In a strange way, I'm a wee bit glad that the UK one doesn't have this spoiler. Silly perhaps, but I like it that very few folks have this one. Makes it a bit special?

Jimmy

Last edited by V6Jim on Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:14 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Well i got me spoiler back today guys! Took it straight home and wacked it straight on!

I will host some pics 2mora but it looks wicked well worth the wait and the expense! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:54 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Wee quick update:

Can't find a tyre dressing that stays shiny for any more than about a day.

Got a little buzz from somewhere down inside the centre air vents. Intermittant and possibly impossible to find.

Got stone chip number three. Damn. That's three in six months. Tiny again.

It still has the best door handles in the world. There's something about the way the door opens....

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:28 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

@the mods-cant we give jim his own section? :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:21 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Hey Jim,

Where did you get the spoiler? How much do they run?
They look really smart on the car, maybe Scotland will have 2 Gen 3.5s with the Tuscani spoiler :D
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:26 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Hey, Jimmy's memories not that good. Perhaps if you lived in Cornwall Alex, that might jog his memory.

Glynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

OOPS! Not paying attention there for a moment....

The spoiler was bought through Matt at Performance Coupe. He got a batch in around Xmas. I think they're all gone now, but I know a few folks are looking to get their hands on one, so I expect he'll be getting summore.....eventually.....cost £175 unpainted.

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:31 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:05 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

This spoiler comes as standard on US cars, but heres the FREAKY bit, some of those guys are taking the spoiler off and fitting the mild one...to be different. The other mans grass......

Glynn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:18 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

ooo! any americans wanna do a swap with me then :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:54 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject: NEW POST!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:37 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

HEYHEY!

It's been a while, but I just thought I would pop in some info about our BIG TRIP today!

Trip was to go and view Motorhomes. Our first stop was Barrons in Preston. Couple of vans, but not 'good enough. The next one was in Grimsby (Humberside)! This one was superb and the deal was done! Then back home to Dumfries. A round trip of 526 miles.

Now then, left Dumfries with 45 miles used out of a full tank. We then used this tank for the trip to Preston and then on to Grimsby, a further 300 miles exactly. The trip meter read 345 miles and 'miles left to fill' read 35 miles! Read that again! Unbelievable. That is a tank range of 380miles... with a V6! I'm flabberghasted.

Filled up in Grimsby and reset the trip. Journey home was 226 miles. At one point we had a trip meter reading of 204miles with a distance to fill of 200 miles. Good grief! 404 miles!!

Here is a photo of the readings on the dash when we got home.

Notice that the range dropped a little, but still shows a tank range of 397 miles. The fuel gauge is showing below half full with a range of 170miles to the next fill!

I'm utterly delighted with this. We drove mostly on the Cruise with it set at a little under 80mph. It also included a fair bit of town driving and 'A' road driving. I drove the whole time, for around 8 hours and I have never been so comfy. No tiredness at all. This is just a fantastic car!

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:55 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

have to say im pretty impressed with my se for comfortable long distance driving. Did 180 odd miles today from isle of wight to loughborough. Managed to do it in 2:30 hours.. bit of speeding.. but still half a tank left. Awesomeness :)

Post subject: 1 YEAR ON!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:00 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: Re: 1 YEAR ON!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:46 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject: the car looks great
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]