[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Key FAQ
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Key FAQ
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:25 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hey guys

I’m on a few forums. Every time I mention I’m a locksmith , people start asking me questions about car keys. Not that I mind , quite the contrary. Here are some of the most asked questions , and a lot of general information.

First off all , I would like to mention that you can just get your keys ordered from the dealership. This will take a while , though. A locksmith can get it much sooner.

Q: What is a transponder and whats it doing in my key ?

A: A transponder is a chip embedded in the key head. When you turn the ignition on , the ecu will transmit a signal to the key. The transponder will then send a reply signal , containing its code. If the code is recognised be the ecu , you'll be able to start the car. If the ecu doesn't recognise the code , the starter will turn over , but there will be no fuel injected into the engine. It will be like the car has a starting problem.
Transponders are used on all European cars since 1994. The name Transponder comes from Transmitter - Responder Unit.

Q: Can I have the key of my Coupé duplicated at the local locksmith ?

A: That totally depends on the type of car and how well equipped your locksmith is.
For the US spec Coupé , you can just get the key duplicated. The US version doesn’t have a transponder. Ours does have one. The US Tiburon has a different ECU than ours , and transponder control isn’t integrated.

Keys for the EU version Gen1&2 can be duplicated at some locksmiths. The Gen 1&2 key has a Texas transponder. Texas transponders can be cloned by a well-equipped locksmith.

If you still have the blue-head key , you can also get a key with a fixed Texas transponder in it. You will have to programm the key into the ecu , for this one to work.
Most locksmiths will be able to order a key like that from their supplier. The key you’re looking for the the HYN6T4 (Silca reference).

From Gen 3 and later , Hyundai switched to a different type of transponder. Its now a Philips Crypto. Untill now , these can not be duplicated yet. We can’t even get an emulator key yet.

Seoullfullracing sells EOM Hyundai keyblanks. For a very low price , I might add. You can order one of these and have a locksmith cut it. The dealership will still have to program it though.

FYI , the key from Seoullfullracing will NOT work for the gen 1&2 Coupé. The type of transponder is not compatible at all.

You can always get a key made without a transponder. But you’ll not be able to start the car with it. It will work on the doors , boot and ignition , but the car will NOT start.

Q: I like the switchblade key from Sharkracing. Can I use it for my car.

A: Yes and no. The switchblade key doesn't have a transponder in it. You'll be able to open the doors and boot , and turn the key in the ignition. But you won't be able start the car.
I'm thinking about doing a DIY on fitting a transponder in the switchblade in the near future.
I would not suggest using the method descriped on Sharkracing's site. It will render the whole transponder system useless.

Q: I locked my doors and the key is still in my car. What can I do ??

A: If you have the key-code , you can get a copy of the key made.
The key code for a Hyundai Coupé is a T followed by a number from 1 to 1000. T452 for example.
If you have the chassis code , the dealership will be able to look up the key code.

Q: I’ve lost all my keys , and I don’t know my chassis code. Now What ?

A: If you can get in the car and take out the door handle , a locksmith can ussually make a key out of that. Take the passenger side door handle. That one is ussually rarely used.

You’ll have to get a transponder key and have the dealership program it into the car. Problem is , you allways need to have 2 keys programmed in the ecu.

But , for people on a tuning board , it should be bloody hard not to have your chassis number memorized.

Q: What is the J on my car key ? Is it part of the code ?

A: You drive a Gen 1 or 2 , I assume. The J (or X for gen 3)is the key profile. It shows the type of transponder in the key.

Q: How do I program the key into the ecu ?

A: Here is the proper procedure:

1 Insert Programing key (bleu head) into the ignition and turn on/off 5 times
2 Remove the programming key and insert the new key
3 Turn the ignition ON. This should be done within 15 seconds after removing the master key
4 If there is more than one key to be programmed , it should also be inserted and turned to the ON position within the 15 seconds. Don't use the programming key.

All keys you own must be programmed. If the previous owner still has a key , this one will now be useless (for starting the car). The min number of keys programmed is 2 (master and user key) and the maximum is 4.

Q: Can I program new remote controls for my central locking ?

A: Yes. Heres the procedure:

1 Remove the crash pad and look for the Receiver Unit. Its a black box.
2 Switch the switch on the side to SET.
3 Press either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on all the remotes.
4 Put the switch back to OFF
5 Test all the remotes and put the crash pad back together.

If there are any further questions , just PM me , and I'll get back to you.

Wolf

edited 22/02/08 to add 2 questions

*made a little sticky by DDR, oo-er*

Last edited by werewolf on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:42 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:26 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:19 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

ME too !! I would like a swichblade one too or maybe two....always handy to have a spare kicking around :b

Let me know as i would love to get the main casing of the switchblade personalised and i have seen a site....somewhere that do it.

Naina K
xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:00 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:57 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:24 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:04 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hi Werewolf, thanx for getting back to me , I found another post about keys and someone on there said to program the f2 evo keys it is the purple headed key in and turn on six times then put new key in turn on and wait 15 seconds , i tried this and it worked :rollin :mrgreen: , so i am well pleased as now have a spare key and it only cost £35 as the dealer wanted another £45 for programing it . J ust need to get the plip working now.
Yours Benlui.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:52 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:02 pm 

Coupe: gen3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:19 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:30 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:52 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:59 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:04 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:25 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

i have a sharkracing flip key and got it cut opens doors works elec windows etc but wont start car.

i have a blue and black headed key. was going to cut open the black headed key with stanley knife and remove the transponder and glue into the skark racing flip key.

here is a link telling me what to do.:

or should i hold on and the guy who made this post do it for me if i pay him. someone respond. and if anyother ideas pleasssseeee.

Post subject: Re: Key FAQ
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:41 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

Reset Gen 3 Alarm

* Put your key in the ignition and turn it to ACC
* Close all doors
* Hit the lock key on your key fob
* Take the key out
* Hit the lock key again - This should arm the alarm. Don't do anything dumb to set it off!
* Immediately hit unlock
* If your alarm responds correctly, then hooray for you, ya fixed it!
* Repeat for additional fobs

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]