[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Speaker upgrades for sIII
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Speaker upgrades for sIII
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Coupe: SIII
Hi :b I just recently got a 12" Vibe active evo fitted and loving the bass, though its not run in yet so can't really make the most of it atm :bang but yeah after doing this and rebadging I'm hooked and want to upgrade the speakers as well... (I'm on stock speakers)

I'm a bit clueless with this sort of thing so was hoping for some advice... I'd assume I'd need an amp to power the speakers and the speakers don't have to be mad bassy as I've got the sub. I also dont want overkill speakers as the sub isnt exactly top of the range either lol... Looking to spend around £200 in total max, but thats me being tight, can go slightly over if need be :lol

Oh and I got an Alpine CDE-103bt 4x50w headunit

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Post subject: Re: Speaker upgrades for sIII
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:05 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: gen3
my advice would be to concentrate on the front speakers rather than touch the 6x9s

set aside some for some sound deadening even if it's just a speaker kit.

remember you will need components, dont get coxal in the front as no matter how much you spend that's a downgrade from components.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Thanks for the quick reply. Any recommendations on brands? I've looked at quite a few brands and alot of them offer similar products just at varying prices and watts etc. and I know that power isnt everything in speakers. Also would I need an amp or noes? Thanks for the help so far :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:54 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

I've got Polk audio 6.5" components in the front of mine and they sound lovely :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:00 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

there's a good test you can do to see if you need an amp or not.. first use the existing wiring with the new speakers.. listen to it..

you'll be able to answer your own question at that point.

it all depends on what your'e after, obviously a system with good head unit, good amps, and good speakers is going to sound better than one with the headunit amp, but if you can save the expense and have a system you're happy with then job jobbed, afterall, it's only there to make you happy :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:35 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Thanks for the help. I'd rather get everything in 1 go as I wont be wiring the speakers myself lol. If I do get an amp straight off the bat is there any chance that the amp would overpower the four speakers? A mate of mine is more clued up than me about car audio and he said most amps will overpower it and the amp in the headunit should power the speakers fine.... :confused

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:02 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

amps even it if claims to be a bajullion watts will not blow speakers if you dont ramp the volume and gains up..

when you put the amp in, turn the gains down, then install everything, turn the volume 3/4 of the way up then adjust the gains so the speakers are just beginning to clip.. then you shouldnt be able to damage the speakers even if you turn it up all the way.

people damage speakers because they try to go over the limitations of them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:41 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Ah cool, thanks for that. I'm still looking into a set of 6.5s lol really stumped on brands... what sort of price range will I be looking at for a decent pair of focals or pioneers, I've seen them range from £30 to £300 :confused

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:55 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
I'd recommend:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VIBE-6-5-5-25-SEK ... 35a3bdfff3

I also recommend the seller : thompsonsltd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:11 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

hmm, I wouldnt touch them with a poo covered stick.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I'd recommend Pioneers, around £50 for some decent component speakers. I've got Pioneer TS-A172C's in the front and they're great, excellent bass response even without an amp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:09 pm 

Infinity Kappas always seem to get a good word. My PolkAudios were £180 i think, but i got a deal on them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:44 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated. I've come to realise that I'm expecting the impossible when asking what speakers to get as everyone hears things differently lol so I think I'll head to the shop and listen to a few before I decide. Ill look into speakers that are between £50 to £100 and see where I go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:52 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Last edited by LiDL on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:56 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Haha SOD halfords, they made such a sh*t job of my headunit, just jammed it in which required the removal of my dashboard to get it out again. I'm located in harrow UK, and I go to Impulse car in watford, they did a great job with my sub and sorted out the mess that halfords created with the headunit :D

Anyways, looking at the PIONEER TS-A170Ci http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/produc ... oduct.html

Anyone know if they're any good? Just want an idea of what to ask to look at when I walk in to the shop lol. Thanks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]