[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - PROBLEM WITH OVER SENSITIVE STEERING!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: PROBLEM WITH OVER SENSITIVE STEERING!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hi All Coupeists!
I have just bought my 3rd Coupe! I just adore them! BUT ..I have a problem with this one.....
Its the V6 2002 Model... with only 49k on the hickory!
The problem... THE STEERING!
It's very sensitive to the road surface... It wants to pull excessively either left or right according to the camber of the road or any potholes it hits! It feels like I'm driving on ice most times! Feel like I'm going to lose the back end on acceleration if turning slightly right or left.. It also feels very centered to the ..erm Centre! but any slight movement of the wheel to the Left or right makes it want to pull..It's like when you had a bike and the handlebars were slightly askew!
I have taken it to Kwikfit and had it checked out (with NO faults found SURPRISINGLY!) ..then to my local Hyundai Dealer who recommended a new STEERING RACK and Track Rod Ends .. which were both fitted today under warrenty (thank the lord!) ...
BUT IT'S STILL DOING IT! :bang
The last 2 coupe's have never driven THIS badly!
Can anyone reading this PLEASE let me know if similar has happened to you or any idea's..I'd be ever so grateful! (weedavy6969@googlemail.com)
Is it perhaps something to do with the Traction Control? (Never had TCS before) I also have the problem of the TCS and ABS lights coming on every so often!!!!!! The garage scanned the car on the computer and it DIDN'T recognize it ... so recommend a new BODY CONTROL MODULE or ECU...!
Do I need to switch the TCS to OFF on days that aren't icy ???....(don't have handbook)
PLEASE DROP ME A MAIL WITH UR THOUGHTS.... :bang

(Old Coupe RED and NEW BLACK!)

Davy x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:11 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:55 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: Hmmm...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:08 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: Sounds very familiar
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:39 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Guys... many thanks for the ideas and comments...Great thing this Internet lark!
I took the car back to the Garage yesterday and had the Mechanic who fitted the new Steering rack and Track rod ends come for a test drive ... he was stumped as to what is causing the POOR steering!
THIS CAR, THE WAY IT IS IS A DEATH TRAP! VEERING HEAVILY TO EITHER SIDE!
:aargh
I took it for a run on the Motorway the night I got it "repaired" and nearly lost the back end on a slight bend at 60! :shock:
Had to HIRE a car to go to work today up in Aberdeen it was that bad! (A Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 TDI --Drove a dream, steering rock solid and great Miles per gallon too! Up AND down from Glasgow on 1 tank and still showing 100 miles spare! Not like the guzzling V6! Blink and the gauge is down! Do you find it thirsty too?
I'm beginning to think it's a POWER STEERING PROBLEM.....?
The Car is booked in for Monday Morning for a full Steering check and 4 way alignment check...
I'll post the outcome to let you know the latest...
As for the size of the tyres... there BIG! But new to the car and no handbook so not sure the actual size.... will look tomorrow and post...
WeeDavy x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:53 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Drifter...
just read ur reply ......
Bought the car about 4 weeks ago .. after seeing it online from a dealer in London...
also bought an AA 5 star warranty luckily!
Will post again on result of FULL suspension check and alignment check on Monday....
WeeDavy69

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:57 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:13 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:31 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:03 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Yes... The Car is Handling very solidly now after having the 4 way tracking sorted! No pulling at all... BUT...(and here goes..)
Driving it today, the ENGINE CHECK warning light came on (and stayed on!) I also have intermittent TCS / ABS / Handbrake warning lights coming on! It's like a fruit machine my dashboard!
Been checked out by Hyundai Dealer and been told it's probably the BODY CONTROL MODULE and or the ECU unit that both need replaced as the car wasn't "talking" to their Hi-SCAN computer diagnostic machine!
The Body Control module is specific to each car's settings so can't even buy a second hand one.... :bang The price of a new one was quoted @ £569.90! :(
The ECU was coming in @ £395.42 plus labour of £110 + vat!
Also, been told the handbrake warning light is the "back disks" (I think that's what he mentioned..was in shock at the time!)
Oh ....and also need a window regulator motor for the driver side door!!! :bang
Added to that the guzzling Fuel....I'M SELLING THE bug*er!
Only had it 6 weeks and had NOTHING but stress! IT'S NOTHING LIKE MY OLD Coupe SE's...

Disgruntled from Scotland!
Weedavy ... :roll:

Post subject: READ THIS!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:58 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

I was working up in Inverness then on to Aberdeen then back to Glasgow.
THE CAR WAS DRIVING A DREAM!
What with the new steering rack and the tracking problem sorted, it was handling so so good! The car was the envy of my passengers!
A 500 odd mile round trip!
I had got back to Glasgow around 2am and was looking for a parking space when ......................
..................................................................................................................
i heard an unusual noise! Then the steering went HEAVY!
"WTF " I thought!
Took it (very gently) back to the garage this morning only to discover the (new) steering rack had blown the seals at both sides and was pishing out oil!
Hey Ho .. It's OFF THE ROAD AGAIN AWAITING YET ANOTHER NEW RACK!!!
How unlucky is this!
Curse of Friday the 13th I think!
:bang

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]