[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - economical driving
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ] 
 Post subject: economical driving
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:13 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

with fuel prices going stupid we can all do something to get back at the bast*rds without driving slowly on a good country lane. i use to have a very guttsy volvo 340 which would struggle to do more than 200 miles of £20 (when it was 73p a litre) but i managed to make it do 500 miles off that. how in town or at a constant speed use the higest gear possible, down hills put the car into nutral and roll. now we all saw clarkson driving the audi to sctoland and back on one tank. he said that engine use no fuel when you take your foot off the gas approaching junctions etc. well if you put into nutral you can coast about 4 times further without losing speed than if you leave it in gear, so you can travel further with using any fuel. from when my days of my first being a skint student with a guttsy car you can coast about 50% of the time without travelling any slower than the traffic and you can double your mpg by doing.
another thing if we all stop buying fuel from the biggest suppliers bp esso and shell, then they will have to lower there prices to get customers back and then everyone else will have to lower prices. lets all do our bit to use less fuel and hit there pockets and profits. we need fuel yes so not buying it aint going to hurt them but inconvience us. hurting the fuel companies will come from not buying from the big suppliers and using as little as possible.

* Edit * if your going to swear use the ***** Paul , cheers mate ;) Macker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:40 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coasting may be cheap but it's also very dangerous. You have no control of a car out of gear.
If an emergency situation occurs requiring immediate acceleration to avoid a collision, and I'm sure we've all been there, the chances of re-engaging gear and then accelerating out of that trouble are pretty slim.
It's a coupe for goodness sake. It was made to eat petrol. We just have to accept that, drive like a maniac and enjoy it. Worry about the bank balance at the end of the month, or buy a Prius.
Uncle Buck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:45 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

have to agree I'm afraid. you'ld fail your standard driving test by coasting, let alone an advanced driving test. dipping on the clutch while coming up to a junction in 1 thing, but leaving the car in neutral for long periods of time is unsafe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:55 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm 

Coupe: gen3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:24 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject: Gimme your heart make it real, or else forget about it
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:58 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

As has been posted above, coasting is not recommended as a way of driving because of giving up any area of control over the vehicle is a bad thing.

The real secret (except it's so blindingly obvious that it's not really a secret) to getting the best fuel consumption is to be smooth. Driving smoothly requires more attention than just driving, as you have to plan much further ahead than you would do usually - it's no bad thing, as Clarkson said when he did that epic trip in the Audi, "if everyone drove with this much concentration all the time, there would never be any crashes, ever". Looking far ahead (as well as close by) means you can allow the car to adjust to the required speed and position without harsh acceleration or braking, for example you could take a bend without braking if you slow using engine braking. Slowing down IN GEAR rather than COASTING is actually MORE fuel efficient, as the engine requires fuel on tickover, whereas when it is being turned by the wheels (called overrun) no fuel is supplied to the engine.

More ways of getting better mileage -
- don't drive short journeys. Use a bike for short journeys, or don't make the journey at all. Motorways generally allow smoother driving and the engine can warm up nicely, making it more efficient.
- don't carry any weight you don't need to, so ditch that tool box.
- reduce drag ... that means washing those dead bugs off the windscreen and bumper
- also on the subject of drag, it's fairly well understood that the energy required to overcome wind resistance at 80mph is something like double the energy required at 60mph. So slow down a little and you won't burn fuel so quickly. Enjoy the ambience of your coupe, and feel sorry for all the muppets around you as they AREN'T in a coupe. They deserve our pity.
- consider your modifications 1 - are they causing extra drag?
- consider your modifications 2 - do they sacrifice fuel efficency for performance? Some chips can balance both efficiency and performance, others not so well.
- consider your modifications 3 - are they extra weight for no benefit?

Of course all of the above work for longer journeys on motorways, on shorter journeys or on windy roads it's difficult not to use the right foot and razz it a bit. Just accept that you can't be a back roads warrior at the same time as an eco friendly tree hugger. A bit of balance, though, means you can still get thrills and not be filling up in 20 minutes. My mileage is 75% motorways and I can easily get 400 miles from a tank, or about 34 mpg (I drive a V6). If I use a whole tank on country roads that drops to about 300 miles on a tankful!

Anyway, the important thing is to be smooth at all times. Listen to Carlos Santana and Ron Thomas, they have it about right.

[edit: just realised it would have been easy to mis-read my sentiment above! When I put "windy" I meant wind that rhymes with "fined", not wind that rhymes with "binned"]

Last edited by aclivity on Mon May 19, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:00 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:04 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:14 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:32 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:00 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:23 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:52 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:46 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:48 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:49 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:51 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:42 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:43 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:04 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:41 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]