[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - How to facelift a gen 3???? Headlights etc...
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:43 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to facelift a gen 3???? Headlights etc...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:14 am 

Coupe: gen3
Hi Everyone, hope someone can help...

I've recently just had a major crash in my lovely 2002 coupe, it's a write off booooo. So I have started looking for another as I loved it so much even the crash didn't put me off, but really like the 2005 facelift (mainly the headlights).

Is it possible to put these headlights onto a 2002/3 model? The only 2005 models I can find with reasonable mileage are autos, so I wanted to try and facelift an older model.

If so, where on earth can I get these mythological lights? I have spent ages on the net trying to find them for a rh drive. I've looked at the "angel eyes" and these seem to be something else...

I've looked at some older posts on here, which also talk about de-ambering (I'm sure this is way beyond me!!!), what do I need to do to get these "blacked out" 2005 lights???

I make no excuses, I'm a girl and just like mean looking fast cars, and a complete div when it comes to mods!

Thanks for reading x Gem x

Post subject: Re: How to facelift a gen 3???? Headlights etc...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Hi Gem and :welcome to the forums ;)

The 3.5 lights are pretty much a direct fit but are the devil to find S/H. Try Breakeryard.com or 24/7Spares.com, but you'll pay handsomely.

The standard gen3 lights can be split for deambering and have the chrome bits sprayed (not the reflecter, obv.) and once done they look pretty good. Albert Tatlock is the guy to contact in that case - he can also sort you out with 'angel eyes' too...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

The other main differences are the front bumper, the gills, the rear lights and the overhead buttons inside. Also the facelift model (Gen 3.5) had the 17 inch alloys as standard on the 2.0 (not sure about 1.6). The rear lights need a bit of work to fit but the bumper pretty much bolts straight on (need the new foglights to go with)

Gen 3.5 parts aren't all that easy to come by though without paying a lot - for example around £250 for the headlights

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:46 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5
I'm one of the people that have done it, involves a lot of patience to get all the parts second hand, took me about a year to get them all.
Some bits (headlights, gills + rear fog lights) are a direct swap, bumper requires a bit of modification to fit, and tail lights require some 'remoulding' aka beating with a hammer!
Well worth it to me, especially as I'm not a fan of the red stitching/charcoal leather in the 3.5's!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:50 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

The rear fogs are better as they match the colour of the 3.5 tail lights as well, which is the first thing I noticed when I put them on after fitting the tails.
The bumper for the most part is a direct fit, the bits which aren't are the wheel arch lining (either get 3.5 ones which are expensive or do what we did which was cut them and drill to fit) and the clips under the headlights (gen 3 has one hole, whereas 3.5 has two, just needs lining up and a new hole drilling). Pics would be better than me explaining, sharky has those as long as he hasn't deleted them!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:54 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

It isn't cheap, I won't lie to you! In total I paid just under £600, but I did have a fair few other bits done at the same time. Sharky doesn't do the painting on large items, he has a trained paint guy he uses for that! Best to give him a call and get a quote really!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 pm 

I'll make sure to get pics during fitting of mine :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:30 pm 

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who have heled and posted replies!

Having just chickened out of buying the next one, I'll be putting it all on the back burner until I stop having panics about the crash! I'm sure I'll get back in one soon though...

HOpefully the topic will be helpful to other forum people too!

Thanks again guys xxx

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
can i be helpful here.if you had a crash and your scared you need to get back in a vehicle and drive right now.dont keep putting if off just do it.i know people who put it off and never drove again.just get in-switch your mind off-and drive

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:38 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:44 pm 

Hi again!

I have been driving, mainly test driving minis, fiat 500s and new polos (hmm!) it's painful...! I loved my car, but everyone thinks I'm mad for wanting a coupe again so it's put me off. Went to buy one when I posted the first comment, and got a bit weird (such a girl!), but I still want one!

I aquaplaned badly on a motorway into a lorry and then rebounded across several lanes. Walked away without even whiplash!

On one hand I know that wide tyre and wet conditions don't mix now, which deters me from anther sportscar, but the other with the fact I had no injuries means I trust the coupe for protecting me! However, if I had been 1m either way of the artic lorry wheel, I probably would have been run over, car and all!

So we will see...

Thanks again! x

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:15 am 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:20 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
people who dont know hyundai always sat get summat else

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:58 am 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:38 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]