[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Angel Eyes for Gen1 beginners guide?
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Angel Eyes for Gen1 beginners guide?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:21 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting angel eyes for my gen1 coupe, but I'm completely new to the whole angel eye thing so I don't really have a clue about anything. I've already had a look at multiple posts which has given me an idea of instructions and fitting etc, but I wanted to know right from the basics.

First, can it be done on the gen1? Has anyone done it?
Also, am I right in thinking that when I install angel eyes, I basically install 2 rings for each headlight unit, a smaller 80mm one and a bigger 100mm one, or something?
How exactly does it work? Do I remove my 501 sidelight bulbs so that when I turn my sidelights on, the two rings come on instead. Then, if I change to dipped beam then the two rings remain on as well as the H1 bulbs fitted to dipped beam coming on? And then, if I was to change to full beam, then all lights would be on: the two rings, the H1s in the dipped beam, and the H1s in the main beam.

Also, what's the legality of these? They give off a very bright bluish white light from the LEDs, so are they still legal? By the way I'm not looking to fit amber rings for the indicators as well, so will I just need single rings in the blue/white colour, 2 for each headlight unit? What is the significance of V3, V4 etc?

Finally, is anyone able to give a guide on how to fit them into the headlight units for a gen1 specifically? I've found guides for both gen2 and gen3, but none for gen1! This would be really helpful, if it's possible to do that is.
Am I right in saying that I am able to purchase the correct set from shark racing?

Sorry for the mass of questions, I just thought it would be better to get everything cleared up in one place.

Post subject: Re: Angel Eyes for Gen1 beginners guide?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:33 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

christ ill answer what i can!

Angel eyes can be done on the gen1 no problems :thumbup
A guy named boothy did it on his cant remember his exact username :thumbdown
The white bluey lights is legal :thumbup
Yes you can fit 2 rings for each headlight or you can just fit 1 depending on your preference :thumbup
Id say you would wire the angel eyes using the wires from the sidelights so the original sidelight will no longer come on instead you will have the angel eyes and yes they will stay on with the headlights :thumbup
Yes you can purchase them from shark racing :thumbup
I dont really understand the v3 v4 thing so ill leave that to someone else :thumbdown

Finally for fitting you would need to unseal the headlight using a heatgun, Then fix the angel eye in place using a few small blobs of hot glue! then feed the wire through the back of the headlight and wire it up to the sidelights. Theres only really one man to give you the best advice which is of course Mr Tatlock :thumbup

Hope that helps at all

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:39 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

from my understanding the V3 is the single ring (ie sidelight) and the V4 is the twin ring one (ie sidelight and indicator) but im not a million per cent sure. not sure of the sizes u would need cos the 80 and 100mm are the sizes for the gen3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
just to confirm, the V3 ring is just a single ring of LED's, the V4 ring has two rings of LED's, you only need to buy the V4 ring if you want the white ring and a colour.

Personally, if you can afford it, I would recommend getting the V4 rings with a colour (not indicator as it looks rubbish IMO) but like red or blue etc. and wire that coloured ring up to a switch, I have the white and blue angels on my Coupe and the blue really impresses people so makes it worth the extra £20 or so ...

If you need any advice on it bud I'd be happy to help, just send me a PM :thumbup

Also bud, the Gen2 guide can pretty much be applied to the Gen1, I say this as I have looked at doing it and they are pretty much the same just different sized rings, so following that you should be ok with ... And as you say if you wire the angels up to your sidelight bulb then they will be on as your sidelight and they will stay on when you put your dipped headlights on ... Yes they are on shark racing so just double check the sizes with the table on the shark racing site, as ash said the white is completely illegal and you can have the angels on when it is however dark, I've driven past police when it has been really dark and I haven't been pulled, which IMO makes the angels even more worthwhile as they are so little seen on the roads that they look majorly impressive.

Last edited by Hig on Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

Just lookin into doin this myself, Paul is right v3 is single ring nd v4 is double ie Amber nd blue/White! Size wise according to shark racing website 70mm will do the gen 1 for both!! Hope this helps???

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:17 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

just as advice though when you order the rings, if you do go for the V4 rings make sure you take the option White / Colour so that the white is the larger outside ring, I just know I wondered about this for ages and had to ask shark racing so that is just incase lol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:37 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Wow! Thanks guys for all the helpful comments! You've been great! :D

Just had a look on shark racing website, and yeah, looks like its 70mm all round then!

Hig, when I get round to doing them, I'll pm you if I need any further assistance? (Seeing as you've done them) But I'll have another look at the gen2 guide anyway if its similar, and go from there.

Just a thought...though I've never opened the gen1 headlight units before, I think theres the chrome bezel part inside as well as the rest of the unit? Where's the best place to fix the angel eyes onto? I've heard that some members have had to re-fix them on after a while due to the heat produced in the headlight unit melting the glue which holds the eyes in place! :shrug

Any tips on this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:01 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

depending on where they fit id imagine you'll need to glue them to the chrome part of the headlight which, once the headlight is opened up can be seperated! If i was doing it id personally play with them and see where they fit the best so that they are both in line with eachother, i think it would look pants if you had one further back than the other! If you get a decent hot melt adhesive theres no way the engine temps should get anywhere near hot enough to melt it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:17 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Cheers mate! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:21 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

If you want a spare set of lights to work on, I'm selling some on eBay (also found in the For Sale section on here) at the moment.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21225

You could then take your time doing a pukka job without worry about downtime, then flog your old lights on...

Just a thought...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:15 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

To fit the angel eyes they are literally the same as the Gen2 lights, the only difference between the Gen1 angels and the Gen2 angels are that the Gen1 headlights have those clips around, the process is exactly the same except the different shaped unit, but they fix the same way on the same way bud

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:23 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Rik, PM sent. :thumbup

By the way Hig (or anyone else), I managed to find the gen2 diy guide once, but I can't seem to find it again now! Any chance of the link being posted here?

Last edited by elvy_coupe on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

you mean the one in the DIY section? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=18047

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Brilliant!

Cheers androoo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:16 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]