[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Gen 3 Rear Bumper replacement, dual exhausts
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:25 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gen 3 Rear Bumper replacement, dual exhausts
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:47 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Coupe: gen3
Hi guys im thinking of changing the rear bumper on my 1.6 gen 3 to the dual exit bumper I guess really im just wondering if replacing the rear bumper is an easy enough job that I can do it myself, does anybody know of a How-to for replacing the rear bumper??

Basically im looking to keep the costs down thats why I want to do it myself, also does anyone know of where I can get hold of a rubber exhaust hanger? Not looking to do the change for another month until I get paid but thought Id try and find out what im in for in advance.

Oh yeah and ive seen the dual exhausts on ebay for like £80 was wondering if removing the old exhaust and fitting the back end of the dual exhaust is just a case of unscrewing the two bolts on the old exhaust then just removing it from the exhaust hangers and vice versa to get the new one on?

Sorry for all the questions but help all round would be great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:12 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Planning on doing this soon too. It doesn't seem like too much of a ball-ache. I've changed bumpers on my other cars. Just do up one bolt at a time, just half tighten them to make sure it lines up properly first. The only hard part seems to be finding a bumper, can't get one anywhere.

Apparently changing the exhaust isn't too difficult either as the hanger for the dual exit is already there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

yeah i saw that the hanger was there but I need a rubber hanger mount to attach the second exhaust to the car, ive seen loads of them on ebay about 10 mins ago so ill just have to contact the sellers to see if there the same size.

ive seen a fair few bumpers on ebay but im optimisticly waiting for a black one so I dont have to pay for paint ;) but I doubt that'll happen ill prob just buy a different colour and get it painted seen some going for like £60 inc delivery :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:40 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Thats a pretty good price.
It would look amazing. the back of the 1.6 really does look like its missing something.
Can't wait to do mine. Funds are a little low at the moment tho :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:43 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

yeah i see the SE and V6 and think they know their car is better than mine just by the exhaust :( so ill debadge the coupe at the same time. money I know how u feel ive not long finished uni and ive just got a job so as soon as first pay day comes in im going mental buy stuff for the coupe :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Good. Why spend money on anything else!!
A new set of wheels is next on my shopping list, although the dual exhaust is realllllllly tempting tho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:06 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

awh mate seriously my shopping list is never ending but my main suspects are;

leather seats
rear bumper dual exhausts
facelift headlights
CAI

if I can get all these in the next 2 months ill be happy all the other things are little bits and bobs but they all add up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:10 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Best of luck with the headlights. There a bit spendy! Just deamber your own and paint the internals black. much cheaper and more unique

Last edited by mick doyle on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:19 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

yer thinking of doing that but prob gonna pick up a cheap set of the standard headlights and do it to them just in case I bug*er it all up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:22 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Better off. Way cheaper then going down the "face-lift" route.
Get some pics up when you get the rear bumper and exhaust sorted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:34 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:39 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Alright dudes

Did you see my post in the for sale section?

Ive seen LOADS of gen3 rear bumpers (SE - dual exhaust kind) on eBay, atleast 1/2 a dozen...

And there is a couple of rear exhausts aswell, and bumpers are not to much of a problem to take off and put back on.

Only thing you might want to invest in is some bumper clips!

Pain in the ass if they break and you have got none spare because does make the car look tat...

There not to dear, pack of 20 cost you a couple of quid, but always good to have spare just incase they do break. Only cheap plastic...
Then usualy about 4 or 5 bolts...

Best of luck with it mate, when i was going for the 1.6 this was 1 of the things i was going to do 1st, i no wat u mean about it missing that thing...

Last edited by Lakez on Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:40 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

yeah I thought about getting a single backbox but I thought it still wouldnt be as good as the two exhausts....I cant see why hyundai only put one exhaust on the 1.6 because it cant cost much more to produce and it looks miles better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:42 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

The 1.6 should hav had the dual fitted as atandard especially as the extra hanger is already there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:43 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

mind you if all the coupes had one exhausts I prob wouldnt care about two exhausts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

True. but then again you'd probably be the first to get it done then

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:47 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Is the extra hanger there? :lol

so basically all the coupe shells are made the same and in theory they go to more hassle with the single exhaust then... Because they got to change from there more popular SE range...

And im guesing something to do with performance or emissions etc..? dual exit means less back pressure could effect figures what the car states... less mpg, but more bhp!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:50 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:21 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Your in luck mate...

[ebay]250313990706[/ebay] cheap twin exhaust but with 1 bid...
[ebay]220300680697[/ebay] another cheap back box, been relisted, didnt sale last time, so could nab it for £29.99 there dude!
[ebay]270237440277[/ebay] clips i was on about, looks friggin dear tho, worth popping into your hyundai garage...
[ebay]150304384646[/ebay] dirt cheap bumper would need a repair and spray though
[ebay]220284707728[/ebay] or brand new 1 there mate, would just need a spray
[ebay]320313241682[/ebay] breakers worth a ring...
[ebay]250314877975[/ebay] another breakers worth ringing, i used the latter, very helpful and freindly!

Hope this helps mate, but looks like you could get all the parts for well under a ton, then if you can prep most of the bumper and prime it a bodyshop wouldnt charge you 2 much to spray a few coats of paint and laquer on, even better if you got mates in the trade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:53 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:09 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:51 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:50 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:20 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

right! after all this time ive finally bought my new bumper...In black!....Near Perfect condition bar a few stone chips...all in inc delivery £45! Dead chuffed :)

Now just got to wait for it to get delivered and I can start to fit it, or do I get a pro to do it? Anyone had any experience changing the rear bumper on a Gen 3? Im going to buy some bumper clips of ebay just in case.

Once I decide which way im going to go im going to get my dual exhausts :D

Any help or tips...a guide maybe?...would be great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:30 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:59 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:50 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:59 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:41 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I looked into this on my 1.6, after speaking to a few of the guys down at my local hyundai dealer who i get on with well enough for them not to bull***t me, the opinion was the twin exit would result in lower back pressure and as a result less performance than standard, with this in my mind i played it safe and got a powerflow single exit made up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

did they say how much less??if its not too much i wouldnt mind but anything approaching the 10bhp mark and ill stick with the single one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:52 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:55 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:57 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:35 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:41 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:17 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:26 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

some interesting comments here - esp from mechanics who should know better! The idea of back pressure in a pipe is a bit of a weird one, as I understand it the key to good preformance is to get as much air and fuel in and the exhaust gas out, as fast as possible. The idea that backpressure is to help scavenge the cylinders of unburnt fuel and prevent valves burning, well it doesnt work like that so its simply not a true statement.
A reason often given for not having a large bore pipe is that it leads to the valves burning but burning valves is caused primarly by the engine running weak - since all our cars rely on fuel management systems this simply shouldt happen - the ecu will just over-fuel to compensate.
Back pressure simply refers to resistance of the gases moving through the exhaust - you always want as little resistance as possible -hence mechanics talking about back pressure being good is utter twaddle. What you need is a good pressure difference so that gas flow is sped up. This means getting the diameter of the pipes at optimimum size - too small it chokes - too large and its too slow. (ok so far?) so, the idea is to get the balnce between fueling and exhaust gas speed right. Modern engine management is good and will cope with a change of exhaust from the manufacturer. So the guys who recomemnd a 2.5" being ok are dead right - adn again when they say going bigger is bad - their experience bears out the theory - too big slows the flow.

In my opinion then, adding a second pipe to a single pipe system on a 1.6 will effectively slow the exhaust gases down a miniscule amount and the engine management will compensate for any fueling problems. I suspect though, that it will only make the slightest bit of difference and probably to your advantage !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:51 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:22 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject: Re: Gen 3 Rear Bumper replacement, dual exhausts
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:32 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

my exhaust is still sat in the garage after months of waiting to fit it! I fitted the bumper a while back just need to get around to fitting the back box....damn snow I really wanted to do it this weekend, anyone got an idea on the best place to mount axle stands on the coupe. Never used axle stands before so this might be a stupid question :o

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:10 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

well i tried to fit my exhaust this weekend but oh my god the nuts are stiff, for the life of me I couldn't get them off....A chap at work mentioned that a little blow torch on the bolts can help free them up so I might give that a crack other wise im going to have to pay to get it fitted :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:14 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Give the nuts a good coating of WD40 or similar penetrating fluid and leave for a while to 'penetrate' (ooo err missus). Then try taking them off

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:41 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I did try that but I didnt have much luck, I might give them a few coats of the stuff over the next few days and see if it frees it up a bit

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 47 posts ]