[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - TPS failure symptoms. (Read if your car idles funny)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:21 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: TPS failure symptoms. (Read if your car idles funny)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:19 pm 
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Coupe: Other
Made this a sticky to clear up the TPS failure confusion.

The TPS produces specific symptoms.

The early signs are 'Stutters' when cruising at a steady rev limit. normally around 3k rpm, the engine feels like it is about to stall, revs drop then it all clears after a second and goes back to normal.

Bad TPS failure is indicated by the revs 'Hunting' at idle, i.e rather than sit at about 800rpm, it will rev up to 1500-2000 then right back down to 400 and keep going for quite a while before settling down.

Not all engine problems are linked to the TPS. If the symptoms are not the same as above, it is unlikely to be the TPS

TPS is arrowed -
Easy to remove/fit, its just 2 screws

Approx cost is £70 from your local dealer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:10 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:03 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:33 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I think this may be the problem with my car too, when I'm just sat there with the engine running she judders like as iff she's going to stall and sometimes when I'm driving she feels like she's in too high a gear then when it goes back to normal it feels like I have turbo boost lol. What do you think??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:32 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:35 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

When she's idle she's at 1 on the rev counter she like shudders for a few seconds and the revs drop slightly. I have stalled at lights due to this as well, it's like you put your foot down and nothing happens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:43 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I just called a garage about my problem and they've quoted me £65 for a diagnostic check!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:48 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

£65! Get the mobile tuner out £40 and if you have the TPS he'll fit it for you as well. There's a guy around these parts that charges £30 for the first half hour then £20 per hour after that and he will guarantee to find the fault in half an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I don't know if it IS the TPS though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 3:55 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

A diagnostic check should tell you this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 4:06 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 5:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:36 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: New Possible TPS Problem
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:08 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:36 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Dont thrash it when its cold then!
Sounds like the TPS is fine. You have to respect your car - razzing it when cold will kill it quicker than running the V6 on parafin :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:31 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Thanks for the sticky on this, as mine is doing exactly the above...judders at 3K rpm on the motorway.

Looks like another thing that needed replacing.

sigh

Ooh well at least it saves me money this post!

Cheers for it Xorro

Patrick

Post subject: TPS Price
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:24 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Guys,

My TPS has definatley gone, and is getting worse quickly, just had a hellish trip from leeds to northampton and back this weekend with a very dodgy throttle.

My question is around the price i should expect to pay for a new sensor, at the top of this thread it looks to be about £70, but i have just ordered one from St Enochs Hyundai in Bradford today for £120. Is this just inflation, or have i been done? Has anyone bought one recently, if so how much did you pay?

Cheers
Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: Sensor Prices
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:53 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:36 pm 

If it's a suitable replacement I'd go for the cheapest. There's nothing special about the TPS sensor - worth around £2 in a constructed raw material form so the price is due entirely to economic factors of supply and demand and a captive market. Hence, you've got nothing to lose buying the cheapest - and if it does go wrong go and bang on Autorama's door.

Mathew

Post subject: mioni update
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:46 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Just spoken to St enochs in bradford again, and they can get all 3 sensors, so its not just Autorama.......

If i can confirm that the cheapest one works then i will let everyone know.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:22 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:12 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: any idea what causes this?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:18 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

what is the reason this sensor goes out.?
what triggers the senor to go bad if it is new?
or is it a electronic failure...that is not caused by driving the car?
any ides would be appreciated.
thank you,
Croc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:49 pm 

It's simply that it's a moving part which requires friction as a fundamental way of operation. The actual problem is down to the carbon track wearing away which then causes the resistance to vary erratically with the associated rev hunting (the ECU thinks the throttle is opening hence chucks more fuel in causing the revs to rise).

It doesn't help that it seems to be of rather cheap construction... despite what the price tag might otherwise suggest!

Mathew

Post subject: thank you for answering that question.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:30 am 

I will be taking my car to the dealership for them to replace any defective part(s).
If the cel does not come back on is the problem fixed?
25k miles on the coupe and adding a cai does that sound possible as to why it went out?
Croc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:42 am 

It's nothing you've done - just one of those things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:22 pm 
Trader

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:35 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:27 pm 
Trader

here is the link.

http://www.ignitionleads.co.uk/

Cheers,
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:09 am 

Better to use - same company behind it but a rather more intuitive, and therefore memorable, URL! (and it takes you to the relevant page straight away too)

Mathew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:42 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hi Peeps,

I have the same prob's with my F2 Evo..

The engine shake's like mad and rev play about....
and makes popping sounds.

Called the Rac..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:49 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hi guys, this is my first post on here also.

My f2 evo When cold idles at about 400-500 rpm causing much juddering, this has only just started to happen and its got me worried. There is no hunting and seems to sort itself out when up to temp.

Will This be down to tps failiure as symptoms seem similar but not the same?
The coup is also ready for its 100K service which includes the timing belt im told, could this also solve the problem?

Cheers for any help, Tim.

Post subject: Help needed please
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:40 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:54 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Nevermind that last post. It appears that the air intake had come apart just before the MAF sensor making the engine idle really erratically. One screwdrivering later and back to normal.

Should check before I panic I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:54 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hello again

Further to my post above, got a new tps cos it cheapest thing to try. Got it on made no difference. Ive never been lucky enough to get stuff right the first time. Oh well, its in for its service on monday, ill get em to diagnose the fault for me while its in.

Tim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:37 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:00 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:12 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:28 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject: Cheap TPS
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:03 pm 

HI, have just collected a replacement TPS from Partco for the sum of £17.07 plus vat.
I need to fit it to see if I have been sold a donkey.
Will let you know if it sorts the hunting revs problem
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:02 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:38 pm 

Post subject: Which of the two sensors is the TPS
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:41 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I have a gen3 v6
on the intake manifold just after the intake there are two sonsors very close to eachother.
am i right in thinking that one is a idle control valve and the other the tps.
am i also right in thinking that the idle control valve is linked to the throttle cables through the manifold and upon removing the sensor (two screws) you can see the rotating washer when the throttle cables are pulled?
is the TPS the other larger sensor that has a rotating cylinder inside that can allow air to pass through and hence why i have some carbon build up inside?

my car was idling funny (1500rpm, then sometimes 400rpm) last week but has been ok for the past few days.

i cleaned the carbon build up a bit with some kitchen roll but want to get the TPS replaced soon if it keeps playing up.

Regards

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:04 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Some part companies do not have the TPS for the V6, Allparts and Partco say that they do not have any registered for the v6. Does anyone know if the TPS for the gen 3 v6 the same as gen3 2.0ltr?

Regards

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:59 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Almost all Gen 3's will have this covered under warranty

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next