[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - 2nd Gear Problem
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:54 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: 2nd Gear Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:53 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since i've been on here but i've no end of "little" problems with my Gen 1.

The latest thing is 2nd gear but first i'll go back to the beginning...

I decided to change my clutch myself as it was slipping, to make a long story short and cut out the embarrassing parts i had to chage the gear box as well. I got one second hand which i was told had done 30,000 miles only but with no proof and now im skeptical. That was fitted 3 months ago and i had no issues whatsoever.

The problem i'm having now and all of a sudden is that it won't stay in second gear. I can select second release the clutch and roll but as soon as i give it some gas it pops out of gear and if i try and put it back in i just get a horrible grinding noise. It's very strange as it doesn't happen in any other gear.

I'm not sure if it's related or not but first gear is also being a bit strange. When i pull off there is a single knocking sound and the gear knob is moved as though it's going to pop out of gear but it doesn't.

I've looked at the newtonnet service manual and it would appear that the selection fork has gone in the gear box...I may be wrong though.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Or what i should do?

Post subject: Re: 2nd Gear Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:11 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Oh dear...

First things first, check the oil - difficult selection and popping out of gear are symptomatic of low oil level. IIRC it should be no lower than 5mm from the bottom of the filler plug, I used to level-fill mine.

If your oil is OK then I'm sorry to say, mate, that the gearbox sounds as though it has had it - popping out of gear under load and awkward selection is not a good sign at all. It certainly is possible to have it repaired, but the costs of this are far geater than the £130 or so cost of sourcing a S/H replacement unit.

Mr Clutch fitted a gearbox and clutch for me in 2008 for £230, since the 'box has to come out anyway they didn't charge extra.

Not the news you were hoping for, I know...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:45 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Def not the news i was hoping for but it is what i feared :(

I think i'll get on my knees and pray for a low oil situation then bite the bullet and get another replacement gearbox!

Thanks for your help

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:38 pm 

Yeah, I had a similar issue on mine - only used to pop out in 2nd on the odd occaision though, and went back in sweet. It develped a slight driveshaft leak and finally ended up blowing it's output seal from an over-zealous topup of oil, my fault entirely...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

you can fill the oil up to the plug level and thats "right" just wait till it stops dribbling out - and make sure youre on level ground

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am 

:yeahthat, I was on a bit of an uphill slope and it blew the seal, as I say...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

bummer - i didnt know that was the reason

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:54 pm 

:bang Erm, yeah - 'fraid so, Andy... :o

Kept it fairly hushed up at the time... :rollin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

:rollin there was me thinking that the box was just worn out early from all that bloomin power you had :tasty

hehehe daft old Rik

Gen1Andy you had a chance to check this yet?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
accordin to the manuals on Newtonnets site iirc its 2.15litres?
you'll have to check but its all there.

johny

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]