[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - New engine help needed please
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:32 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: New engine help needed please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:05 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I have a 2001 gen 2. 2.0. with 88,000 on the clock. and my engine has no end of problems.

it could be that it may be cheaper to just get a new engine in it, problem is, im worried if i look on ebay, i could pick up one which may already be broken and i would not know. im NOT a mechanic and was wondering if anybody knows any good websites or people who i should be talking to about this.,

All comments and feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: New engine help needed please
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:34 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3
247 spares, or 1stchoice are the two best ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:57 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
buying an engine can be tricky in the fact that you will have no idea if it runs until you get it plumbed in. unless you can see it running then you have to trust the seller. Places like 24/7 can often give a warranty on major units which is a major plus.

good luck,
johny

whats up with yours btw?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:14 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:38 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:55 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:19 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

unlucky fella , sounds terminal iundeed i now remember your original thread about the crank issue.

johny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:34 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:32 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

The oil level was getting better... or so i thought, now i have some blue smoke kicking out the back.... i really like the car and don't want to give up on her, so guess i have no choice.

Can anybody give me a rough idea on what kind of price i can look at?

There is one on ebay from this breaker, it has 40,000 miles. and offers 6 months warranty... and says its in very good working condition. ( or so they say) Price = £310
but this is a business seller who has 100% good feedback and is a top seller on ebay.

Would this be worth looking into?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:03 am 

That sounds like a good buy, but you want to hear (or see) it running if possible. Most S/H engines I've seen run at £150 (private) to £250 (trade) with 90days warrenty if your lucky. That £250 was without delivery too, so you can add £whatever to that to get it to your door...

At the end of the day - if the only thing thats buggered is the engine, then it's worth doing the swap. With mine there were multiple issues (brakes, bodywork condition) that made repair work non-viable.

Make sure you get all the bits required. Dunno if you need ECU etc to match the engine, but you would be wise to find out before you order.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

That 24/7 site got back to me with 2 engines in. one was priced at £381 and the other £411. Neither of them come with mileage stated :(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 am 

Bummer. Those prices are pretty high, makes me wish I'd been able to remove mine - the body was rotten but the heart and soul was sound...

Unless theres a breakers near you, or someone happens to be breaking a Coupe, then you're pretty stuffed with regard to choice. You need one and they have one - sellers market, unfortunately.

I'd be tempted to go with the more pricey one, but try a phone call or email the sellers directly - I had to when I was sorting out my engine several years ago, you should be able to get more info from the breaker in person and obv. the lower the mileage and the newer the unit the better. Try getting the engine numbers, there may be a way of telling the age somehow...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:58 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Well the one on ebay seems to be a good one, but the cheapest at £310 but has 40,000 on it with 6 months warranty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _720wt_939

this person is a breaker who has a buisness on ebay, as well as one outside, has 100% feedback. top seller with no bad feedbacks, he has sold land rover engines, bmw engines and other car parts.

but first things first, im going to see mr sharky on Thursday and discuss it with him, and find out what kind of things i need to be asking and what answers i want to be looking for. but it does seem like the coupe is going to get more money from me. lol just cnt wait for her to be happy and fixed :cry .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:57 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

hello mate

have you checked the wanted section as ukdegu113 has a recond engine for sale.

Mustard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:05 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Thank you, :thumbup

ill go have a butchers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:48 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Engine has been ordered :idea

ebay. 40,000 on the clock, very good reputation, 100% good feeback, registered trader. £310 + p&p of £35 bringing a total of £345..... cnt wait for my baby to work :rollin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:52 am 

That'll cure your problems at a stroke, fella - good price too. :thumbup

What you gonna do with the old unit then, pull it to bits?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:55 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

i don't have a clue. (never had to change an engine before)
guess ill speak to sharky about it, the new engine is being delivered straight to him and he will be doing the work :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:09 pm 

Just thinking it could be a revenue generator and a learning tool. Pull bits like the cam cover off, paint 'em up and sell on here or eBay. Things like the cam and crank sensors'll go for less than a tenner, inlet manifold etc (if not needed for the new engine) will sell for £35. Fly and crank will still be good and can be sold or modded then sold (in the case of the flywheel), etc.

Get the picture? :D

Last edited by Rik'n'Vik on Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:39 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Coupe: gen2
I just had my engine changed over. I bought a gen 1 coupe locally for £200. All that was wrong with it was the brakes and suspension were shot.
Got a local mechanic to swap over the engine into my gen 2 for £50. Running like a dream!

Now I have the empty shell of the gen 1 which no-one wants :lol

So it looks like it is gonna be scrapped and I'll get about £50. Which makes it £200 all in all paid for a new engine. All good.

Unfortunately I'd spent a bit more on trying to fix the old engine before that but got the coupe for a £1000 at auction so cant complain. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:15 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:16 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:40 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

:o :o :o :o

HAHA i get you now lol
you now see why i leave all the mechanic stuff to other people lol. kind of goes in one ear n out the next :blah

sounds like a good idea anyway so ill give it a gander and ask mr sharky lol.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]