[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - 1.6 4-2-1 headers gen2
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: 1.6 4-2-1 headers gen2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
Its the Alpha engine so this is a challenge indeed. I do recall that some time ago someone had some custom headers specially made for their 1.6 but because search doesnt look for numbers because they are too common I am in need of help. Does anyone remember what the members name was? Or can anyone provide me with any help on this. Sharky has told me that I would be able to use one designed for the 1.6 elantra, but I cant find any for that car either.
Thanks in advance, Josh.

Post subject: Re: 1.6 4-2-1 headers gen2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:13 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Tricky one, Josh - the Alpha is a sod to find bits for, I've heard that it's not that responsive to tuning either. You might have to resort to sourcing a Beta 4-branch and somehow grafting the Alphas flange to it. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can find out...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:48 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Thanks :thumbup Ive joined the elantra owners club forum to ask around there, hopefully I'll get some help back from them aswell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:50 pm 

Ahhh damnit! Forgot all about this - sheesh, sorry pal :o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:41 pm 

Allrighty. Had a shufty around, and it's not good:

The 1.6 and the 2.0 Alpha exhaust manifolds are physically different in size. This is bad news because you are more likely to find a manifold for a 2L Elantra than a 1.6, due to the general opinion that the 1.6 isn't worth tuning - but unlike with the Beta engines, you will be unable to fit that 2.0 manifold to the 1.6.

I reckon your best bet would be to get a knowledgeable sort to measure up the dimensions of a Beta manifold. You need to know the distance between centers for the outlet pipes, the length of the runners and the overall height of the manifold. Automattik has just scored an XSPower one and I'm sure he'll provide those dimensions if asked. Compare that with your manifold and if there is not a huge amount of difference, then you should be able to have an exhaust place modify a 2.0 Beta 4-2-1 manifold to suit the Alpha engine. This (if possible) will certainly be cheaper than a completely custom-built manifold.

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:02 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yeah, dont get custom built. lots of r&d goes into primary & secondary lengths, wall thickness, welds, etc

and dont powerflow charge about £700 for one? :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:13 pm 

Depends on the franchise as to whether they consider it at all, TBH - I have 2 'near' me, A14 Exhausts at Bury and some place I cannot remember in Market Raisen, Lincs and neither of those offer it...

But yeah, bespoke systems are pricey - it's a wonder you can buy a 4-2-1 manifold for £170, when you take a good look at the work involved...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:33 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

if you are looking for a 4-2-1 or a 4-1 manifold for the 1.6L alpha take a look at shark racing they list them, or even look on fasthyundai.com they are not that hard to find i bought one for my 1.5Accent a couple of years back but it the exact same header as the 1.6L

You have to think when looking for alpha parts what other hyundais had them.
The accent
The getz

these are the car you need to look up when looking for parts and like ive said the 1.6L alpha is the exact same engine as the 1.5L alpha only has a biggr bore but the physical engine parts ie intake, thottle boday, manifold engine cover etc are all the same

here have a look at the links below for what you are after
http://www.sharkracing.com/acecart/bin/ ... =010703000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:38 pm 

*clicky*
Well ---- me, there it is - why the hell could I not see that earlier :bang

Sorted :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:57 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Well this looks like good news, I will dig into it and get some verification and hopefully this will be sorted as you said rik, thanks for all the help guys :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:00 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Got sharky to verify, so I'm going ahead with this. I'm going to spend some time looking for a cheaper one, but this price is about right really anyway isnt it, so wooooohoooooo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:29 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Here some pics to so you although mine is a 4-1 manifold but also the reason i know about parts like that is ive been searching high and low the last couple of years for a metal intake and finally got one from the states which came off a 1.6L accent which never came to the UK until the later accents.

the intake too...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:38 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Cheers mate, that part of this is in the bag now then. As for the cat, will any cat do? Did you not use a cat from a skoda rik?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:49 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

can anyone with any slight info on this reply asap cause the car is now fooshed. Constantly burbling and their is no power at all. Need to get it sorted quick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:45 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

Rik did use a skoda cat but i think the had to get a flange welded on. I believe he used a skoda one because it was the biggest he could fit in the space. Its all on my coupe now and works nicely ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:30 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Thanks guys, should this one work fine then?
glad this is all coming together now, going to order everything this week and then hopefully my baby will be back on the road in no time!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:38 pm 

It'll work - but I reckon you'll probably get a better result from fitting a standard cat not a freeflow job. Problem is backpressure, the 1.6 needs it as much (if not more so) than a 2.0. If you have retained the OE exhaust system then it'll probably be ok.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I'll look for a standard one then I dont want to be loosing any power when spending this much money, that would be ironic. What about this one? Thanks for all this help rik! It is appreciated :thumbup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:02 pm 

My pleasure, mate :thumbup

That'll be fine. As I say, you'll be best grafting it into where the decat pipe sits. Without seeing your setup, it's a job to say... If you don't have a decat pipe then have it fitted somewhere after the 4-2-1 finishes, wants to be just under the engine bay bulkhead or thereabouts. You will probably need a front hanger fabricating too, I welded mine onto the Skoda cat. Without this the entire midsection is unsupported and you risk it craking under the strain, esp. if it's stainless...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:41 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

A new question I have bought that cat which is designed for the accent and all over it it has "Illegal to supply for type-approved vehicles first used on or after 1/3/1", does this mean I cant fit it to my car?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:23 am 

I don't see why you couldn't fit it. The only concern would be if it would pass emissions at MOT time, which it definately will not with no cat fitted. There may be an issue with Lambda sensors, you might need to extend the cables and drill new fittings if the Alpha runs a double senser setup. One pre-cat and the other as a post-cat, so the ECU can detect the difference between the readings...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:33 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I will fit it and see what happens then, need to get it fixed as quick as possible anyway, thanks again

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]