[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Slight crack in manifold causes car start problems?
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:58 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: Slight crack in manifold causes car start problems?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:33 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Coupe: gen1
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and picked up a wealth of info from the forum.

A question to the masters of Gen 1 coupe anatomy. I recently discovered a slight crack on my manifold and am current suffering from car start up problems. When I turn the ignition on the car starts up but as soon as I stop cranking the ignition, the car stalls... It is possible that the crack in the manifold is prevent sufficient pressure to develop in the engine thus unable to run the car? I have to crank the car several times before the car actually runs..

I had a CPS issue earlier on and had it replaced. I also heat wrapped the CPS and the wirings around it to prevent the CPS from degrading too quickly.

Any ideas, guys?

Ed

Post subject: Re: Slight crack in manifold causes car start problems?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

personally ive not heard of it causing to stall...... but can make it run like poo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:02 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Let me try to explain my situation abit clearer... When I try to start the car the starter can crank and fire the engine however, once I stop cranking the engine dies... I have to crank the engine several times before the engine is able to fired normally... Any ideas what is causing this issue?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

I'm no expert by any means mate, but if the immobilizer is playing up then the car will start for a couple of seconds before cuttin out again ..................

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:49 pm 

Coupe: gen3
tps?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:33 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

TPS issue is rough idling... I don't have that issue (hopefully never)...

A friend of mine is suggesting dying car battery... will test the battery...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:23 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

It won't be stalling due to the crack in the manifold, mate - when I heatwrapped the 4-2-1 on ours, I fired it up to move it without the exhaust system attached, Apart from sounding like twenty people farting into a megafone, it started and ran fine. Won't be the battery either, if that was knackered it would not be starting at all. You would get either a rapid clicking, a single click or it would turn over real slowly.

Coil pack, sensor fault, spark plugs/leads, fuel/injector issues or immobiliser. IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:00 pm 

Agree with rik, It wont be your manifold. Mine is cracked in 2 places and it still starts/drives fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:06 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Thanks guys for the info, I fitted another car battery and the car started fine. However the problem is coming back again... I am now looking at the alternator... I am guessing that it is not charging the battery.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:00 am 

Yeah, sounds like it - humble pie time :lol If you can, get a multimeter and measure the charge the alternator is putting out. You should be seeing 13.8Vdc, or thereabouts. If it is knackered most decent motorfactors will supply you with a fresh one on an exchange/reconditioned basis :thumbup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Received a call from the garage, they say my ignition barrel is stuffed. Problem is being Christmas period, they can’t get a replacement… Will have to wait till New Year before securing a spare barrel. I might try to take a look myself and see if it is loose wiring which I can fix myself.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:34 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

not heard of that one before!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:01 pm 

Me neither :confused - I bet there's a straw 'somewhere' with a garage clutching at it ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:53 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

you said what i was thinking :lol doesnt sound right... because ok, say it was immobilizer - doesnt the key chip read from the ecu anyhow? by that i mean, the key chip reader isnt even in the ignition barrel....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:08 pm 

I had a similar problem with my Leganza. That had a receiver wire that passed under the steering column, with a connecter that was prone to coming apart - if it did, the system would not 'read' the key and the immobiliser would not disable.

Dunno if the Coupe is similar :confused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:03 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Merry Christmas to all :beer ,

Rik'n'Vik, does the receiver continuously read the key to ensure the immobiliser is disable or is it a one-off action? Because the car can fired but refuses to stay fired when I release the key from the cranking position. I don't think my key is stuffed as I have two keys and both have the same issue...

I might to get another garage to check my car since the first garage didn't charge me for the inspection.

Btw I am in the sunny world of Australia so there isn't alot of coupe loving people here. Plenty of WRX and Skyline lovers here though...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:22 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3
you need to add your location to your profile mate.there are experts we can send you to,but its no good if we dont know where you are!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:33 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:07 am 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:21 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

i *believe* it cuts the fuel pump - could be wrong though

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]