[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Gen3 2.0 or V6
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gen3 2.0 or V6
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:26 am 

Wll i'm selling my gen1 coupe and buying a gen3 and i wonder what is better to buy 2.0 or V6? I heard that V6 isn't that good as it should be.. that 2.0 can be powered up more then V6 etc.. etc... So what's your opinion what is best buy and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:41 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Nobody will be able to tell you what to get. The best we can do is highlight our own views on each one. You will need to decide what features of each suits you best.

I have the V6. The reason I bought it is because I was specifically looking for a V6 after years and years of owning assorted 4 cylinder engined cars.

V6 Pros.
The V6 is sublime. So smooth and easy to drive. It has bags of torque which makes it deceptively fast without having to rev its nuts off! So for general driving it is a dream. If your canny with your right foot it'll return 30 - 35 mpg. It also sounds horny a hell when you do floor it. The important thing is, sure it only pops out 165bhp, but it does it beautifully. The speed comes from the torque it produces. Effortless pace. It can easily be tuned to give 200bhp+ if you so desire. But you can't beat that certain feeling you get when you turn the ignition key and the V6 'whooshes' into life. Gives you a chill up your spine...

V6 Cons.
Fuel consuption. If you are heavy footed it is posssible to plunge into the low teens! A bit more expensive.

I test drove the 2.0L before I bought the V6 and it is a very decent engine. Gets a bit harsh when you push it, but for a 2.0L its reasonably gutsy.

Test drive them both, if you can, and see if the V6 does it for you.....

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:11 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:28 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

must admit i am going through the exact same situation myself currently driving the f2 gen1 and a nissan 200sx, i know the v6 will never get near the outright brutality of the 200 sx but i think now id like to have some refinement and a little better fuel consumption for my money. so i have been considering getting rid of both for a gen3, very very tempted for the v6. i really have no idea what to do tho. i think some test driving is needed in the v6.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:48 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I also used to run a 200SX. Moved onto a Prelude 2.2 VTi. It is partly because of these cars that I wanted a V6.

The VTi and, to a lesser extent, the 200SX were both powerful cars, but both were also highly strung and need to be thrashed to get the power out of them. (Especially the Prelude). Good fun and all that, but there comes a time when that kind of hooligan driving becomes tiresome.

Jump into the V6, cover the ground every bit as quickly, but with ease. Torque, y'see.....

Jimmy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:04 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

yep thats my problem exactly, the 200sx is unreal to drive but the silly power and rear wheel drive aspect ( although good fun ) does get to be a right pain in the ass, 30 mph coming off a roundabout in wet condtions....... would be nice if it would go where i tell it to sometimes lol.
you say you get 30 ish mpg from the v6 would you mainly be motorway driving??? how does it do on a combined drive, not ragging it but driving normally for enjoyment not on motorways???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:22 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

last week i managed 24.1 MPG and this was going to work and back some days steady sum days changing as high as the limiter.

all in good fun and i knew this before i bought the car, if i wanted mpg id go diesel!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:19 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Insurance group for the V6 is 14 and for the 2.0 is 12. Spec is a bit higher in the V6 such as traction control, climate control and 6 speed close ratio gears. I have a 2.0 and have no complaints about the performance, hit 120 last night with ease and plenty left in hand the car was smooth and responsive I've not done any engine mods. Whichever you choose I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:00 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:35 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I'm well happy with my v6. I'd much prefer the torque over a high reving car say like a c type r.

Sure 0-60 they are quicker but who gets to do that. I just love the way you can plant your foot in high gears and it just pulls like a train, you don't get that in 4 pots.

Mine with a 57i put down 186bhp and just before christmas I put 181bhp with a cai (on a different rr), which do give a silghtly lower top bhp figure, but a better mid-range.

I've a new exhaust now and soon to be supercharged, its just amazing what can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

if u dont mind me asking, how much were u plannin to spend on the supercharger inc fitting and what other preparations will u b makin for the supercharger to be fitted? e.g. uprating stock parts!

im very interested in this myself but dont have a clue if im honest!

cheers

steve

Post subject: 4 or v6?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:17 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

I did a lot of umming and errring before deciding to get my gen 3 2.0. Previously owned a gen 2 so I knew roughly what it would be capable of.

I know i can be a bit lead footed at times, and considering i drive 60-70 miles a day I think going for the v6 would have totally killed my bank balance.

but I still regret not getting it. Honestly!

The only consolation is that now i've got the injen kit on the car it makes such a fantastic noise that it's easy to forget its a 4cyclinder jobbie. Have taken car upto 125mph and that's quite fast enough for me at the moment....well its not, but it'll do for now!

so i reckon: if you can afford it, don't drive too many miles then get the v6. If you're going to drive miles and insurance will be prohibitive then got for the 4pot, whack on air intake and new exhaust and you'll be fine.

but you'll still have a nagging doubt in the back of your head for not getting the v6!

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:45 am 

oh nice, a lots of v6's here :) Well the fact is i'm interested in tuning that machines and i heard somewhere that 2.0 is more tuneable than v6. Don't really get why? Can someone explain why is that so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:28 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

well im jus guessing but maybe its because turbo's are cheaper and more easily obtainable as iv seen a few for 2.0ltr but only 1 for the v6! but you can still tune the v6 (which already has more power) with more expensive turbos/superchargers! i havent had any personal experience with the 1.6 or 2.0ltr but i know that the V6 is crammed into the engine bay which might b another reason that they say it is less tunable than the 2.0ltr!

this is all jus stuff that i could think of, so someone pls correct me if im wrong!

steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:18 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

my opinion would simply be that the 2.0 and 1.6 engines respond so well to tuning. i hav no experience of the v6 unit at all but my previous forays into coupe tuning showed they had very good potential. cams, intakes and chips are readily available and makes a massive difference to the car. the 4 cylinder engines can easily be tuned to civic type r eating standards for not a lot of dough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Stevev19 has put a valid point, that the v6 is going to cost more to do the same tuning. If you put the same bits of kit on the 2l and 2.7l the V6 is still going to have more power but your pocket will be less full.However , air and exhaust will cost the same, manifolds are dearer for the V6. If you tune the 2l you can match the V6 if the V6 is not tuned. There comes a point where the stock internals need upgradeing to cope with more power and once again more rods and pistons, valves etc mean more outlay. If you do the ex. and intake mods the V6 is a healthy beast. Also twice as many cams on the V6. Thats worth 50BHP at the bar.
Marks comments re.nagging in the back of your mind did occur to me when buying the auto.
JohnV6 thanks for comments on CAI cos with the auto I'm favouring the slight drop in BHP for a wider power band so will put my 57i on here when I get round to upgradeing. Nice healthy results John. If you want to match up against a Civic R then the 2 will do apparently, for less outlay , if you can live with a nagging doubt. It's not much clearer is it Cole.

Glynn

p.s. 1.6 to 2.7 all look sweet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:42 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:17 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:06 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]