[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Owners of 2002 GK V6 ! Please come read here !
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:20 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: Owners of 2002 GK V6 ! Please come read here !
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:12 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Coupe: gen3
Hi !

You have certainly figured out that your 2002 Hyundai coupe V6 Gen3 has a problem : when connecting a diagnostic tool on your OBDII port, it can't have access to the ECU. It brings numerous troubles, one of them being that CEL codes can't be read. So you just have to guess what the problem is with your car, and it's not always obvious...

I have personnaly done a lot of research about this. Here are the results :

- Whatever the diagnostic tool and the software you use, it's always the same. Even with a Hyundai scan tool. You can't have access to the ECU datas...
- Hyundai has published a note a few years ago about the OBDII port on 2002 gen3 : we have to wire the missing pin 5 in the OBDII port to the ground cable of the pin 4 wire, and it would work. Well, in fact, no, it still doesn't work. It will now let you have access to airbags datas, but you'll still be unable to access to the ECU. And Hyundai doesn't know that.
- The cause of this ? We don't know exactly. The 2002 is quite different from the later Gen3 : the ECU is 2 bits (it's 4 bits on later Gen3), the lambda sensors are wideband instead of narrowband, the OBDII port is not cabled as it should...
- The problem seems to be worldwide and touching all 2002 Gen3 V6. I know 14 owners of these cars in France, all have the problem. I've met on forums a german and a canadian who had the problem too.

The consequences :
- You can't read CEL codes ;
- You can't read long term fuel trims, so if you're a hardcore user wanting to tune the air/fuel ratio perfectly with a piggyback, it's a problem ;
- When you're trying to pass emissions tests, the default will be noted on the certificate (in France that's the case) ;
- you can't use NGM handheld ECU reflash tool
- When you have a problem with the car and go the hyundai dealer, you'll sometimes meet an asshole who will not bother to listen to you, and will keep on telling the ECU is f***ed up and is causing the trouble, and must be changed (1500€...). Actually a friend of mine has this problem : his 2002 V6 gen3 won't start, i think it's just the immobilizer ; but the mecanic keep on telling the ECU must be changed because he can't have access to it...

So here in France we have decided to do something at last, and we have agreed that each hyundai coupe owner having this problem (we're 14 at the moment) will send a mail to Hyundai France to complain about this, explain the problem, and ask Hyundai to inform all his dealers and mecanics about it. If you could do the same with Hyundai England, that would be interessant, too. We're contacting all the european hyundai coupe forums about this.

Sorry for the bad english :o

Last edited by Elricdelyon on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Owners of 2002 GK V6 ! Please come read here !
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
Can I just say, why the sorry for the bad English? It was pretty much spot on and read fluently, no need for the apology in my opinion bud.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:03 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Ask Sharky in the traders section - the reader is different to the US ODBII port readers, i cant remember which one it is now but i think you can easily get the right cel reader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:20 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:54 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:10 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
surely thats not a mistake its just common sense,hyundai are not gonna want people messing about with ecu settings-especially some of the dealers iv seen,and as it has as such a fixed idea of what its supposed to do why would anyone WANT to change it-(hyundai's view).or am i missing summat here?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:25 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Interestingly enough Sharky did have problems reading my engine section with the Hyscan Pro.. I have a 2002 V6..

He suggested (without investigating it because he was reading it purely to give the car a quick check over, not to fix something) it could be a problem with the way the aftermarket alarm was wired in, (iirc. corrupting the cambus signal?) I doubt it's the first 2002 V6 he's scanned though?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:39 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

he couldnt do mackers either but that has some kind of chip

i doubt a huge corporation like hyundai would allow summat like that to go uncured........unless they did it deliberately

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

gotta rule mackers out as an anomoly because of the chip really..

maybe they thought most people wont notice, and fixed it for later gens without a recall.?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:15 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:25 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

iv never had a problem then again i dont have a v6............we're not doubting what you say its just summat we've never encountered.on a forum of 4000 members.never heard anyone mention it so cant be summat we've a regular problem with here.........yet ours must be the same as yours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I know pretty much all there is to know about OBD/EOBD. I have a Hi-Scan Pro dedicated Hyundai computer, I used to work for Hyundai (the manufacturer), I work on literally hundreds of Coupes of all generations (including lots of V6's), I personally own a 2003 V6. Hope that's established my credentials for you.

There is no difference in ECM on V6 Coupes from '02 - '07 MY. If you can provide the "note" that Hyundai "published a few years ago" I'd be very interested to see it. I was involved in the GK project from its inception and wrote technical documentation on the vehicle and have no recollection of any such "note". To the best of my knowlege wideband O2 sensors are not fitted to Euro Spec vehicles at all. As the manufacturer of the vehicle there isn't anything that Hyundai doesn't know about it. If you meet an a**hole at a dealership, it's probably because he is one rather than any other reason.

I have come across one or two that I couldn't communicate with, but the causes of this were traced to other things.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:39 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

It seems your homework is incomplete. I've read the TSB and the recall notice you mentioned:
1. It relevant to 2003 MY cars, not 2002 MY cars.
2. It only affects GST (Generic Scan Tool) and not Hi-Scan as GST doesn't support that particular ground circuit in the DLC, whereas the Hyundai tool does.
3. It is only applicable to countries that subscribe to CARB and OBD II, where in europe we have Euro and EOBD.
4. The recall part is only applicable to 5 states in the US.

The common denominator with a lot of the cars mentioned is BCM/immobiliser equipped. The immobiliser system on the V6 is different to the 1.6 and 2.0 and the BCM is notorious for causing problems. In fact most of the comms faults I've had with GKV6 have been BCM related. In countries that do not carry immobiliser function in the BCM, communication is not an issue.

As for flashing ECMs, I have several ECM software upgrades that I can download into customers cars to cure different driveability issues. I have never encountered any problems in doing that and could care less about performance flashing - if you want to try to dick about with the manufacturer data in the ECM that's your business.

As for O2 sensors - the late V6's had ZrO2 sensors instead of TiO2 sensors. Both types are narrowband sensors though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:20 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

Does this mean an SMT6 won't work/can't be tuned on a 2002 V6? If not I will be very upset! Lol.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:15 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]