[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Bloody snow :(
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bloody snow :(
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: SIII
Just tried to get to work, and it didn't happen, ended up goin into an amica and taking the paint off the corner of my bumper :o :cry :cry :cry :cry well annoyed :cry :cry

ABS is so absolutely useless and bloody dangerous in the snow/ice :-(

AAARRRGHHHHGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH more money needing to be spent on it :-(

Post subject: Re: Bloody snow :(
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:13 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: gen3
you shouldnt be going fast enough to need to brake hard enough for the abs to even think of kicking in in the snow/ice.

it's too easy to blame the technology, but I've driven every day to work 30 miles each way, down ungritted, icy, snowy roads and never once has the ABS kicked in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:28 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Shame to hear you had a little ding its never good when things like that happen. Take it easy and if the weather is that bad dont use your own car use someone elses :lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:07 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5
Can't even get 2 feet on a flat road... no traction at all!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm 

i wasn't goin fast at all Lidl, was coming out of my road, which is a hill to a T junction. starting slowing down before the hill but once i got to the hill momentum took over and there was nothin i could do. i did panic at first then snapped out of it. was not goin fast at all as i had time try first and second to change direction, even reverse, after tryin the foot brake very very lightly just nothing. i think thats what made the feelin worse was that it was so slow and i could see it comin once it went into a slide but there was nothin i could do. luckily no-one was comin across the junction at the time. if the wheels lock up (which they will straight away on ice) then of course the abs will kick in, thats what it is ment to do. Your very quick to criticise anyone who has a spot of bad luck. all i was doin was tryin to get to work to earn my money rather then take it as an easy skive.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:39 pm 

to the others yeah it stupid here. walked up to asda to get some shopping...that was a mission haha oh well, another experience, another bit of knowledge gained. no lasting damage and nothing that can't be sorted, either at a body shop or if i get some time off and a good place to do it :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:48 pm 

i can see both points here guys! lets just leave it,

such a bummer man, i feel ya pain, just found out that my coupe is more then likly written off! :( so at least its only paint! hard luck tho mate, i feel for ya!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:56 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

:( tell them to stop being silly and get the old girl fixed ;)

ooorr.. puts on his evil voice, tell them to give you lots of money and buy mine instead ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:34 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Its starting to snow here now, i can see its slippery, yesterday the rain washed what little snow we had away, then it froze, no snow, just 10 miles of patchy black ice, did ok until 100m from my house, where i skidded and banged a wheel against the kerb.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 pm 

people jumping to conclusions gets to me, not being able to get to work gets to me, not earning money when i can/should be gets to me.my pride and joy gettin damaged really grinds me down, i know the feelin. I'm not blaming technology over my failings, i was just tryin to do what i got to do, and the ABS got in my way.

lets just leave it here and forget it :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:29 pm 

sorry to hear it berni :-( im with lidl thou tell them to stop bein little school girls and get it sorted out haah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:40 pm 

on a lighter note, I LOVE THE SNOW!!!!!!!!!! :b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:03 pm 

i love it to, when i dosen't stop me from earning.

This is near enough a full re-enactment of what i done, except it was like i said a hill and 't' junction

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

but you didnt think.. should I be in the heavy object slipping? or infront of it? hmm infront.. gets out and make that happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:54 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
i thought ABS only kicked in when you where doing 20+ mph? or if your wheels lock up obviously lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm 

oh yeah i forgot to say, i didn't bother tryin to get out.....thats just plain stupid and mindless haha i stayed put, turned the steering wheel away tryed what i could....then braced. ill get a pic up in the mornin of the damage to my car.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
just be glad you didn't cause any real damage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
i hear lots of crap talked in this weather............

nobody was ever going too fast..........even when they were.we lost the front end of a coach when a driver doing 20mph hit a tree.my first thought was "why was he going that fast".........

but the point is this.no matter how good you think you are......or even are..........in that split second moment you lose control.....thats it.no chance no thought time.you either get lucky or you lose it.its that simple.no matter how much experience you have-and i bet i have twice as much as most people on here.......it got me just the same yesterday..........that split second........and next thing im the wrong way round

"turn into it" shout some! "turn against it" shout others!
"bulls**t" i shout
because you wont have time to do anything.none of us do.
it happens and you....................freeze.then you hit it.but it felt like 10 seconds! luck,not judgement skill or experience save you on ice.sheer dumb blind luck is on your side or against you on that day at that second.
no-one should kick themselves for an accident in this weather
ask yourself the truth and answer truthfully
were you going to fast? yes? your fault
but if no.............dont even bother trying to learn from it.if you did nothing wrong and you know you didnt........just live with it.ice is dangerous and unpredictable.and you cant predict the unpredictable.and you cant prepare.and you cant beat it.just hang on...and hope

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:38 pm 

Heres the damage i done. The pic seems dirty cos i took it last night in the snow on my phone. Hopeufully wll be sorted soon. On an upside, its the same corner that got keyed, so that will be gone too :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]