[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Hyundai Coupe Vs BMW 320cd
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hyundai Coupe Vs BMW 320cd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:12 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Well called down to my friend last night, he just got a 3 series coupe with the 2.0 diesel engine. went for a good spin in it yesterday and........ wouldnt trade the coupe for it. Engine was a peach but only when the turbo was spinning, couldnt hold 4th @ 30mph, where my car can hold 5th. When the turbo was singing tho she was smooth quiet and fast. Seats were comfy but no side support for cornering, 6 speed box was desperate, impossible to tell the difference between 1st and reverse, so had to keep taking off in second, bit of a long throw too. Dash was too small and windows were too low to feel like a sports car, didnt get the hemmed in feelin u do with the coupe, felt like i was driving the 3 series saloon. And this one had manual climate control and the switches felt cheap, esp for a car costing that much. And no1 leaves u out in traffic cost its a BMW!!!

Coupe 1.
BWM 0.

Post subject: Re: Hyundai Coupe Vs BMW 320cd
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:33 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other
but if you stick it on a 1/4 mile strip itll leave the 2.0 coupe standing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:45 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

these new diesel BMW's are amazing engined cars - the performance / economy they put out it very good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:59 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3
a bmw will drive the coupe off the planet.but they just aint got that "thing"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:34 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:52 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:09 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:36 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

fantasic torque from bmw diesels,coupe weighs less id say but you might just struggle to beat one.i wish people would forget the power trip with hyundai,you just aint gonna beat the majority of the cars.....still embarrassing though aint it so please all keep trying lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:47 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

BMW's i eat them for breakfast , they take off fast ... but before i'm in 3rd gear i'm roaring pass them , this was done on a 70mph dual carriageway from a set of lights many a time :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:53 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

paul.............get rid of the 1.6 lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:45 pm 

my gen 2 2.0L regularly trounced my mates 320d & I have to slow down in the V6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:48 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 pm 

Sorry to say it but BMWs are far superior than the coupes in acceleration, handling, mpg etc. The only thing the coupe beats it on is price and that "thing" we all love. My dad has a new 120d series convertible, and for a 2.0l does over 45+ mpg and is 177bhp which beats even the v6!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:02 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:18 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

not being funny but trust me a v6 wont have a problem with a gen1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:27 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Thers a couple near me, and they can't pull away from me, and theres a Gen2 round here that leaves them for dead. Only thing they have is the intial getaway from a standing start, from a rolling start they can't pull away.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:31 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

well they aint driving it right then, from a rolling start the v6 should be even quicker, trust me once the v6 hits 3000 rpm theres no way a gen1 or gen 2 is gona keep up the torque is just too much, we can settle this next meet if ya like lol ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 pm 

faz answer my post :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:39 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 pm 

Cheers, do headers make it sound better? Also just been looking on PC and it says that you may need to buy another cat too, is this true?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:50 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

there are few minor issues, it wont pass an emissions test if urs is the vvt v6, its runs far too rich, this is coz the v6 has 3 separate cats, 1 in each header and a full size 1 under the car, headers will remove all 3 so.............. i just had the full size standard cat made to fit were the decat pipe was, cost me £40 for it to be cut out the ends to be opened up abit and flanges welded on and then fitted, if ur headers are a straight fit then it shouldn't cost you too much to have them fitted it can be done near me for £90 and yes they sound amazing, sounds better with the stock cat in as it stops alot of the rasp, if ya need any advice on headers just pm me, i looked at loads when i was after them and then messed up lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:53 pm 

ok cheers mate, might have to save up first :lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:54 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

as much as i like and recommend matt at pc go to the states for them

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:17 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:10 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

A 320d is base spec, you have to remember that - they go up to a 335d, which is mythically fast. I reckon a 2.7 V6 would have a two litre, but diesels are really not to be sniffed at these days.

A friend of mine has a two litre Vectra, and strange as it sounds that flies.

And yeah, I'm not a fan of the one series either. I'd like an E30 BMW though, the rest of them are nothing that special in my eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:33 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:45 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Last edited by Rik'n'Vik on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:49 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

my 2.5 bmw would have sucked a v6 in and spat it out,that was a 325 early model that had been played with and had wayyyyy too much power to handle,it was on an h plate and was once dynoed at 260 odd bhp but what an evil beast it was,nothing like traction control only thing it had was abs.nice car to drive and tootle along in put your foot down it was frightening.i do think bmw have lost alot of the edge they had when they were the ultimate driving machine.........that said as stated above the bigger ones would eat a coupe for breakfast.now a big engined genesis might be a different tale...........
The problem is comparing the two makes.hyundai never built the coupe for speed even the v6.it was the just the big engine they had at the time that would fit.hyundais emphasis is cheap cheap,i dont think speed was ever really an issue..........and it shows

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:01 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:08 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

agree with that def!the current shape 3 series coupe/convertible is nice but look back 15 years (not sure wat E model it is) and that coupe/ convertible were way nicer. Thought the previous 5 and 7 were nicer too. When i was in the states our neighbour had a black 740Li (the one that was in Tomorrow Never Dies with same alloys), lil bit gangsta cos it had tints and chromed BMW alloys but my God it was stunning. not like the Bangle 7 or the new one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:14 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yeah mine was an e36 and iv given serious thought to having another several times over the last few years including an m3 but i didnt enjoy the power then and i probably wouldnt now plus i certainly would'nt like the tax.generally i think the decline started when chris bangle took over design they just aint the car they were.....a bmw should be a car you aspire to.the coupe is a car you want but you dont really "aspire" to if you know what i mean.when you used to see the rep cruising past in his 535 you aspire to have one the same as a jag etc and you wonder what its like to own one.i must say the only coupe i ever aspired to was the gen1.when i saw one at the motor show i thought "one day il own that".but a bmw is a class apart.most alpha romeos would kick the coupe's arse.....if they ran for long enough.guy at work has an audi quattro.very very understated but incredibly fast.i personally think most of the average coupe's burst of speed comes from the light weight.but lets face it if you were truly buying for power the coupe wouldnt come into the equation

the only real question is which is faster german or japanese? korean doesnt come into it yet.but then i dont really think it will.if hyundai is gonna build a supercar they will do it.if we have any chance of seeing a supercar its when they go into f1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:27 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

hahaha dont diss alfas! wouldnt bother me that much over the reliability cos u know wat ur buying. But its the look, the feel, the pride when ppl look at ur car and say wat a stupid man for buying an alfa but fair play!!!! im weak for this one

http://cdn.motors.co.uk/d/used-photos/6 ... A08LSY.jpg

driven the 150hp diesel and it is a proper beast! goes like u got hit from behind by a train! its savage!would take this over 3 series coupe anyday

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:01 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

an alfa says your someone who values style over image.but they are badly unreliable,very much so.lad across from me had one he was keeping the dealer in business,that said what a stunning car and power to boot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:18 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

i think u get some good ones some bad ones. my cousins husband has a 156 V6 (extremely rare here) and nothing has ever gone wring with it and its been to the moon and back. still everytime u stick the key in the ignition u wonder will it start....or when u turn on the lights why the drivers window is opening......these arent flaws they are charms :lol :lol :lol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:22 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

:lol :lol
trouble is charms wear you down rapidly

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:38 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

and cost too!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:04 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:16 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yep nobody wants em.on my list for possible coupe replacement

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:09 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

depreciatioin is ur best bud , when ur buying not wen ur selling!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:18 pm 

:yeahthat - you can get a LOT of car for your money, if you buy a bit older and don't mind too much what you have. Seen ex-police 3.2MV6 Omegas go for 1500, and less, on eBay. Thats 200+ horses right off the bat,well maintained and under 100k miles on the clock. When I was looking for the diesel, happened across an old Rover SDI 3500 V8 for 1100 - was MINT condition and had 78k on the clock. Was fierce tempted, but 'common sense' won through...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:20 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:04 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:43 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Going back to the BMW thing, its a Diesel, so its got lots of bottom end Torque, but all diesels have a low powerband, at 5000rpm you're slowing down! Yes they accelerate quick, but have a poor top end, and you can't push it out at the top like a petrol, our Diesel works vans fly all the way to 70 (I've left a Cupra-R thingy with an over-enthusiastic pull away from the lights when empty), but won't go much more than that. The Coupes have long gearing and push all the way (from an offroad run at Sculthorpe airfield its at least 130), so on a longer distance drag (like 1km) any decent engined petrol will come back at a Diesel. Its the same as other small engine cars that we struggle to see off from the lights, eg VTS Saxos, Pumas, have the similar power as the Coupe from a 1.6, have a similar 0-60 time, but struggle to do much more than 70-80. Yes i know the coupe struggles with standing starts, but on motorways its pulls and pulls, a lot better than cars with sporty reputations. You can't do 60-70 (leaving it in top) as quick with VTS's, Pumas etc as you can with a Coupe.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:07 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

as every ones going on about bmw's thought i'd tell you about my kid brothers bmw. he's got the 635d you should see the kit its got. top end ice, hud and all the other goodies you'd want. it goes like a bat out of hell. he chose this instead of the m6 cause it goes just as fast(both limited to 155) but he gets twice the mpg and it's cheaper to insure.
still wouldn't swop it for my coupe though but then again if he was to give it me :b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:20 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 pm 

Coupe: SIII
see i've always thought the complete opposite about how the coupe pulls. Off the line mines lightening quick, my mate with a mazda 2.5 v6 in a 323f (mazda) struggles to stay with, untill it comes time for 3rd then he just flies past. I've had a couple of blasts with a 320 and 120 petrol and diesels, the diesels dont do aswell, but come the petrols, well i don't think i've had any as close as those. And that suprised me alot, i thought i'd have no chance, just done it for a laugh.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 49 posts ]