[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Road Tax - WHAT THE HELL?!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Road Tax - WHAT THE HELL?!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:31 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Simple, V6 with LPG conversion. :thumbup

The fact the 2.7 V6 >5.2006 is a higher tax bad is due to it having the maximum co2 emissions band. An LPG conversion would make the emissions miniscule in comparision and a lot lower than most cars. I would be willing to bet a converted V6 would have much lower emissions than the 1.6, plus you still get the performance. Yes it is expensive to have done, but if people start flogging off their big engine cars for peanuts due to the tax issue you would be fine.

If the tax brackets change I am getting the conversion done, it pays for itself after approx 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:38 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:40 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other
but are you willing to lose ur boot space and have a nasty looking thing stuck on the side of ur car

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:50 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

you don't loose boot space if you don't mind not having a spare wheel and the filler can be hidden behind swivel number plates so you never see it

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:54 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:57 pm 

1/2 my boot is taken by a sub and amp, so i wouldnt mind that space taken by an lpg system.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:04 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:06 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
and several ferry companies wont carry you either

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:10 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

but if you use tyre weld for a small puncture its a new tyre ya gona need and as mine are £100 a corner i wouldnt be too happy with that

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

tyre weld is sh*te i wouldnt touch the stuff but i know what you mean i prefer a proper spare

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:11 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:26 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:46 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

ur figuers are wrong, lpg is just over half of petrol and u dnt get the same economy, it uses bout 20% more, apart from that we all know wat the cost of runin a v6 is so if ya cant aford it dnt buy 1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:00 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:55 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

dont get me wrong m8 as i know wha you mean but for me it would take almost 2 years for the saving to pay for a the conversion estimated around £1600, then say 2 tyres over 2 years theres another 2 month............i only keep my cars for 3 years then swap so for me i dont think its worth it, maybe if ya was doin 30k a year it would be worth it

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:59 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

nothing suits everyone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:09 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

I wouldnt touch a conversion as a DIY, one wrong turn and it WILL cost you the price of your car + the kit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:59 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:38 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

but insurance dictates it has to be done by a qualified technician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 pm 

And you don't get the tax benifits etc. if you haven't got a certificate from a licenced installer - hence the steep prices ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:42 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

We had a big discussion about this over on Retro-Rides - I can't find the thread right now but there was a link on line to get yourself certified as an LPG/CNG techician in a few mouse clicks. ;)

It was a US site to be fair but it showed how easy it was to be "certified".

When I renovated my house (completed gutted and re-built), I (and one other guy) did all of the plumbing work and got the whole gas system certified by a Corgi registered plumbing company once completed. There wasn't any problem with the "un-certified" work that was done by us - it passed first time, and continues to pass annual inspection each year (so far...)

I'm not putting mechanics/ auto-techs down - there are some great ones out there, but for every good one there are multiple "muppets" (unfortunately). Choose any trade you like and you know what I mean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:52 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

ive always been tempted by the idea of buying a pre 73 car. but finding a useable daily classic is time consuming and you end up paying good money for them. if i had the skills id love to get a classic and fit with modern engine, brakes and suspension set up. there are alot mk1 and 11 escorts fitted with ztecs pushing out 170bhp as standard. they mate it upto a gearbox from a pinto engine for the rwd set up. ive read that the off the shelf fitting kit straight forward to fit for the conversion.

on the lpg topic, evo magazine did a long term test on an lpg conversion and getting cheaper tax. they brought a 2000 bmw alpina b5 something or other. but the alpina version of the m5 basically. they paid about 6-7k for the car. they converted it lpg for about £1500. the car its self had about 350bhp was on the old skool tax system so was costing £200 a month and returning cost wise the same as petrol doing 40mpg. a car like converted to lpg will always be something thats saleable in the future at a good price.

when finances allow and parking space allows id love to be running two cars like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yep there are some good cars out there pre early 70's.look for one someones already redone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:16 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

tidy mk1 escort's are fetching crazy money now many in the 10-15k bracket, a solid shell thats been painted and restored is worth 2-3k with any parts fitted to it. mk1 cortina's are rising, a perfect lotus version can fetch 35k now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:17 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yep capris gone through the roof even newer ones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:22 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

i like the idea of cars that go up in value tho, sod property developing car developing is more fun. in the last 10 yrs the ferrari 246 dino has gone up from 20-25k to 60-80k now.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:55 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

i might just buy one of those!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:18 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

at the end of the day the tax increase is 3.5 full tanks of petrol? not really that much when kept in context. just stick to 70 on motrway and you will easily achieve 3.5 tanks less a year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:46 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hey new to the site.

Had my coupe s 1.6 a week and i love it. question how do i remove the cars jack in the boot? it is tight lol

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:53 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Hey Mick, welcome to the site. Cant think of the technical name for the bit but basically its "jacked" in, so there is a piece u turn u make the jack go up/down. Just keep turning till it goes down and it should come out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:01 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

's ok, Paul - he's sorted it :thumbup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:22 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Good stuff!!! glad u got sorted!brain has gone dead...maybe its the thought of work tomorrow!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2