[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Spanked at the traffic lights!!!!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:54 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spanked at the traffic lights!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:10 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Coupe: gen3

Post subject: Re: Spanked at the traffic lights!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:11 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:20 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other
with a few mods you would have kept up ;)

ill take it you didnt break any speed limits while taking a energetic drive as we dont condone street racing do we ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:09 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

ye maybe, my brother made that mistake with his gsi turbo astra mk4, started one engine mod and then it cost him loads as the standard parts need toe be replaced. Not at all, honestly i genuinly think i got to probably just above 60, and i dont drive that way anyway, i had an accident years ago from being a bit of a tool, so im sensible, just wanted to test against the FTO. i certainly dont condone it either

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:14 am 

Read:

http://www.myfto.co.uk/mitsubishi-fto-engine.htm

;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

cheers for that. i am impressed, i always thought they may have been a 2.0 turbo or something as this one shifted, and never really looked at them before as you see so many dogs, i always prefered the gto instead, but this one was stunning, it had to have had a respray and some body work done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:22 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other
i always thought the fto's looked stunning it was just the shape of the back end that let them down, now a supra is stunning from every angle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:30 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:17 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
they are one serious piece of kit,a lad down the road had one running summat like 300bhp it was lightening quick .he once came to a capri meet (he loved capris)and raced the 4.5 litre v8 capri(with the mustang engine)he lost but it was close.they did like a drag race on an airfield somewhere,iv seen the video and god that thing was quick.this is why i always said you should aim to make a coupe more driveable but not particulary more powerful.to make a coupe go really well ya gotta go the fatdad way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:32 am 

The thing i dont like about those fto engines is that they sound like electric hair dryers. There are a few around here and everyone looks just for the noise, and its not a good thing :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:34 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

its a shame really they didnt keep making the FTO's would be some decent competitoin for the Coupe/Celica market. In the states and left hand drive markets they have the Eclipise and it looks decent enought but def suffers from lard ass American design.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:29 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:35 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:19 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:32 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:46 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:15 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Eclipse's are also turbocharged as well, so that makes up for the single cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:43 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:15 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19 am 

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of detuned vehicles on the market - or at least vehicles not tuned as highly as they could be. I blame the environmentalists...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:44 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

FI you can always double power, but with that is more stress etc on the car. There is so much pressure on the market now for super reliable cars, that they chicken out and go for the easy option - underpower for its size -

Cheap - Fast - Reliable.

You can only chose 2 of those ;)

Realistically, theres no reason why especially nowadays why they shouldnt be aiming for a reasonable 100bhp / l NA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:51 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

That 1.8 mitsi engine seems as underpowered as our engines, which leads nicely onto my next question, I was recently told that the hyundai Beta engine is a Mitsi block rebadged as a Hyundai? Is this true?
I know from chatting to Dupe elsewhere that MSD origionally used mitsi parts whilst building the F2 evo, and had around 200bhp, but Hyundai wanted them to stick with Hyundai parts.
There 1.8 seems around same power as the 1.8 lantra (if hyundai stated right-which we don't know they did), yet the V6 is only 2.0L, that shows how much can be got by variable valve timing, Hyundais 2.7 doesn't have it and it lags by 35bhp. The downside to Vtec/VVTI/MVtietc is they can't use forced induction, thats why with the older model type-R Civics, (think BTCC, Andy Priaulx, Alan Morrison, Matt neals 1st shape civic) Japanese tuners used engines from a lower spec model, not the type-R engine. 200bhp from stock, but limited potential.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:18 pm 

The bottom end (crank, block and pistons) of the 2.0 are Mitsubish based, and can handle a couple hundred Hp fairly safely - one of the reasons it's relatively cheap and easy to go F/I on the 2.0 Coupe, and as Androo says, they are detuned for reliability issues.

You can still squeeze a bit of extra performance out of them for peanuts - I guess the main reason they don't come like it as standard is that not every driver wants a howling, screaming WRC replica :confused It's all good though, gives us summat to do and yak on about ;)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:47 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yeah the one thing that has always impressed me is how much can be gained by goood old I/H/E on these cars -

a full exhaust system and intake gains around 35bhp over stock on v6, and 25 on older 2.0 gen 1/2 engines which is very impressive, as Rik says basically for peanuts - bother manufacturers dont give that - shows how held back Hyundai are making their cars

I *think* that our cars have a longer stroke, but the person that told me that couldnt put an engine together, so i'll ignore that - but certinately on gen 3's the crank is forged from factory - the only things that let the engine down are the piston/rings as they are gapped to tightly

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:24 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 pm 

Also there are a few GPX (MIVEC) models selling on eBay with no reserves. Expect age of around 1995-1999 at best and around 90k miles on average, but cvan be bought for a snip sometimes...

There is one on there that says it is running 280bhp with only "full stainless system + decat" and "big air filter" so I would be amazed if that could net you an extra 80bhp over stock, unless he missed some mods off. :roll:

So if anyone was thinking "hmmmm maybe I could get one, one coupé for racing and one coupé for cruising..." they're only a few click away lol.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Another Coupe not release here but often imported are the early 00@s Integras (Team Dynamics shape). The old shape that was available over here had a 1.8L that gave 165bhp, but the realy good thing compared to a Coupe is the gearing, its geared short, only hits 115mph, but it can hit 60 in 6.6 secs! The coupe is over 2 secs slower, but will reach 140. Honestly I'd rather have the Integra gearing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

+1

DC5 :love :love

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]