[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Gen 3/3.5/Siii Stereo/Head-Unit Access guide
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:36 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gen 3/3.5/Siii Stereo/Head-Unit Access guide
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:05 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

'cos a number of people have asked about how to get to the head-unit and its frame, here's a guide: (click on each image for a larger version)

1)

open the ash-trap under the central-trim.

2)

get a couple fingers into the ash-tray and push it in about half way so you car grab the bottom-right lip of the trim. Pull out - start by pulling away the bottom-right part of the trim, might be quite strong the 1st time but dont worry, it's only a push-in clip. When the bottom right clip gives it wont be long before the bottom-left goes and you just work up the trim unconnecting the 6 clips (the 4th image shows the location of the 6 clips in yellow rings).

3)

Once the trim is out you'll see that there are a few cable-looms connecting to the various bits & bobs. I found that instead of having to remove all of them i could get away with just unclipping the bottom 2 (air-con & fan dials).

4)

With the bottom two looms disconnected I'm able to swing the trim around and balance it on the central dashboard fans. The head-unit and 3-dial cluster are held by the same frame which is held by 4 screws - shown in the green squares. Remove these and the frame (with the dial-cluster & head-unit) can be pulled out (but will have to disconnect both to remove it completely ;)). Remember to disconnect the battery negative lead before removing the head-unit, or might blow it (or the fuse). For ref the trim clips are circled in yellow - these are what you'll need to push the trim back into when assembling.

So, that's it... to put back together it's just a simple case of going backwards :b

Dunno if it's completely obvious from the photos but I've got my iPod lead coming out infront of the gear-knob (wont reach to the central arm-rest) and it's much more accessible than the glove-box - dead easy to connect/remove your ipod when you get in/out of car (plus shows an empty lead to any1 looking into the car which hopefully might detract theives from breaking in to look for an ipod). To do this:

grab hold of the "leather" part of the gear-know and pull up (no 1 on the image). The back of this section will pop off and then just pull away from the ash-tray (no 2). When fitting the head-unit feed the iPod lead down behind its cavity and bring the lead out here. Replace the gear-knob plate and trap the lead (might be worth creating a little notch in the panel's edge to stop the cable being squashed if you're planning on keeping it there a while.

hope that's made some sense and helps someone ;)

DDR

(Moved to FAQ as its a great guide and removed a bit of waffle from the thread. Cheers Dodge

Last edited by DereksDontRun on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:07 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:51 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:11 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:43 pm 

Hi, thought I should sign up mainly to say thanks for this excellent guide - I can confirm for anyone who has yet to try it but is reading, it is exactly as written and don't be put off by getting that first clip of the silver trim out! (And, erm don't use your car key to try and prise it, or you'll end up bending the key like I did... :shock: )

Couple of things I found which I thought may be useful, particularly in light of related comments in other threads

1) I replaced the Clarion head unit (which would refuse to start playing CDs unless the car was stationary...) with a Sony CDXGT828U. As expected from other posts, the Sony cage will not fit inside the existing cage (either height or width), which is welded to the frame that also holds the multigauge. Odd that the multigauge is fixed with screws, but the stereo cage is welded when more people are likely to replace the stereo... I can confirm others' thoughts that removing this metal frame with the multigauge and stereo from the car was certainly a lot easier than doing it in situ would have been.

2) Once the frame with the old head unit was out of the car, it was pretty easy to remove the head unit from the cage without needing any removal keys: two metal tabs on each side secure it in the cage - just push both in on one side while pushing the head unit forward enough to stop the tabs pinging back out. Then repeat on the other side.

3) The easiest way round the cage issue was to unscrew the two security clips from the old head unit and screw them on the new one in the same place, and not use the Sony cage at all. The new head unit then fits in the old cage securely, although if I want to remove the head unit from the car I'll have to take the whole lot out again (or I suppose, find the appropriate keys). Did have to find some appropriate screws for the holes in the Sony though as the old ones were too fat.

4) Removing the cables from the Clarion was very difficult, more to the point impossible, so I just bought a Hyundai/Kia adaptor cable from Halfords.

5) Other posts mention that it's necessary to swap the yellow and red cables (i.e. clip yellow->red and vice versa); however, I actually tried it like this first but in my case I needed them the original way round to keep the unit's memory while it was off. This might be because I used the Halfords cable, which perhaps takes care of that.

So if your old stereo is spoiling your enjoyment of the car, I can certainly recommend replacing it and fitting a new one yourself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:33 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:36 am 

yeh cheers. got it done last night, easy enough, only took me 15 mins to have it back in place and connected up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:55 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Coupe: SIII
do i need to do the remove part of the dash routine for mine?

my VDO headunit appears to have key removal holes on the front (see image).

do i still need to remove the silver part ? because i've gave it a go and it wasn't for moving, no matter how hard i pulled at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:05 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:20 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:24 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:32 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:35 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:17 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

having done it on my SIII, i can say its bloody hard to move the first time, plus i was reluctant to pull it hard, ya know, new car and all that!!! :rollin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:52 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

ok have got the alpine working. cut the red and yellow wires and switched them over using some connectors (temporary just now with some plastic block connectors, will change them over to proper connectors during the week when i get hold of the crimping tool).

haven't secured it in the cage yet as it was too cold today to spent time trying to get the silver plastic off. however it is sitting in the hole just now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:24 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Coupe: gen3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:59 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:51 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

done thanks a bit worried at first about pulling the clips but it was ok in the end exept everytime i moved the controls panel fell from the place where i had carefully balanced it. doh!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject: Useful video
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:04 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]