[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Engine bay detailing and modifying etc...
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:05 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Engine bay detailing and modifying etc...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:09 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Coupe: gen3.5
Okay guys, :help

as i've stated before im pretty new to the modifying game and all the pleasures that go with it, partly cause i was a student with no money :thumbdown , and partly cause my cars were hardly worth playing around with.

But now... that has changed. :thumbup ... but i have no idea where to start ! :rollin

To be honest with you, my aims arent to improve the performance of the car, (if that comes with whatever i do, then bonus :thumbup ).
But to start with i want to 'makeover' the engine bay, changing out hoses etc, to give it a bit of life under there. I have the time and space to do it so thats not a problem, but because i am uncertain about everything, i dont want to make a dogs a**e of it and ruin my car.

Is there anything you guys could recommend reading up on, or where to look for ideas ? :shrug

Any help would be appreciated guys... Cheers

Rossco

Post subject: Re: Engine bay detailing and modifying etc...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:46 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
just try and find some decent silicone hoses, ebay seems to sell some decent ones, so just measure up and you can prob do it pipe at a time ... erm, a CAI would make a big different to the engine bay, and a posh shiny strut bar will make it look even more impressive!

erm, polish up the intake mainifold and the throttle body, paint the plastics on the engine cover ... should all add up to an impressive looking engine bay bud :thumbup

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:50 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3
do summat discreet.....like this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:55 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

no Darren, just no :b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:01 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen1
and looks like you need abit more heat wrap on that exhaust.

get some and spray/die it red before fitting ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:12 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
yep got ripped when fitting.i might take it off yet.when its been raining it causes clouds of steam from bonnet vent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 pm 

Coupe: gen1
make a heat shield to cover up them them then. keep the exhaust wrap on, keep the gasses flowing down the exhaust and keep the heat away from the rest of the engine bay ;)

just dont put a big hole in it for the T or you'll end up with the same lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

with the hoses you should be fine as long as you get the same diameter hosing, you just have to be careful where you buy from, I think anyone with a good feedback should be ok, the silicone piping could replace stuff like the pipes to the windscreen washers, pipe from the radiator to the overflow, the throttle body coolant pipes etc. etc. on one or two pipes however it may be easier just to put some silicone tape around the pipe instead of replacin it

for painting the plastics you can use the plastikote stuff, would give an ok finish on the plastics ... prime it, spray it (couple o coats), then lacquer it (two, maybe three coats) ... use masking tape to mask off certain areas if you are going to do two or more colours (clean the plastics thoroughly in each stage though)

jut had another thought, one of them oil catch tanks would help with the appearance if you can find a good looking one, then little things such as maybe some vinyl on the engine cover or strut bar, new radiator cap, maybe some stuff from acrylic conceptions the list is endless lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:46 am 

I know yours is a 2.0, I have a V6 which comes with engine bay covers as standard. However you can buy these on eBay (often international sellers importing them are cheaper) and they can be modified to fit. I don't know what modifications are needed but I know there is some and theyre not difficult. I had to modify them slightly myself to fit the ARK front strut - this just involved a hacksaw lol.

NOTE: The strut towers are covered, this picture was taken before the modifying process and I haven't taken any pics since. With a shiney CAI under there it looks very tasteful (I took mine back off for now)

As for hoses, search eBay for Hyundai Coupe Samco hoses and you should find some easy that you can pick the colour. :thumbup

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:08 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Brilliant stuff guys, cheers for that.

Thats plenty to keep me busy just now thats for sure. :thumbup ... once i get started i'll get photos up to show you's the progress.

If anyone else has other ideas or photos, please feel free to add them on. it all helps me out. :b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:45 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Does anyone have photos or fitting instructions for an oil catch tank into a gen3.5?

Just dont want to pull the wrong hose so thought it best to ask first ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:54 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:09 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

the dimensions ... if the title says 5mm hose, then that is the internal diamter of the hose, it will then go on to say the width of the walls and then the overall size of the pipe ... well, most of the ones I have seen do anyway.

for the oil catch tank send 'thedupleman' a PM, he might send you a picture of his fitted if he can see it past that tray on top of his engine :lol

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]