[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - The Most Stupid Idea ... in the World.
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:47 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Most Stupid Idea ... in the World.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:29 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:46 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:23 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Cor blimey, or something - this old chestnut rearing it's head again. :lol

These systems were talked about in the early 90's, folks. Didn't happen then, unlikely to happen now - same old arguments/reasons, completely unchanged in 15 odd years. :roll:

Take no notice ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

also bear in mind speedo's are never correct, so instead of 70 we will be driving around at 65, stupid stupid stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:57 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

so no overtaking then, motorways would be fun, cocks in audis would be flashing their lights for no reason at all, because they cant catch you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:23 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3
welcome to the dangerous world of the coach driver where you reach 62 and blip thats it no more.no use whatsoever in a car bad enough in a coach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:10 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:01 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other

Post subject: Safety aspects of limited speed driving.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

I agree in principle with the idea of speed limiters but there is a fatal flaw in the use of such a device whether voluntary or imposed.
I was instructed to drive by advanced drivers for a particular purpose. It was apparent, that on a number of occasions whilst driving fast or sticking to local limits, that the application of the brakes to avoid a dangerous situation was not always appropriate and the only safe option was to accelerate out of a sticky situation. If we were travelling at the speed limit with this device fitted, how would we be able to accelerate out of a dangerous situation.
I give you a simple everyday example. Overtaking. I was always instructed to avoid being the "Meat in the sandwich" by which I mean, never be caught between the vehicle being overtaken and a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction. So, for the purpose of overtaking, one accelerates, often above the limit, until the object vehicle is safely passed, then resume the correct speed once completed .
This is an everyday manoeuvre for most of us and limiters would make it potentially hazardous.
I think that more accidents would happen with limiters fitted than would be saved by installing them.
I'm fairly sure thedupleman finds himself in similar dilemma's driving his coach and avoids a beneficial overtake on the grounds that he isn't sure he can make it safely while the limiter is on. I apologise if I assume too much.
Uncle Buck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:26 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Uncle Buck

I successfully passed the Institute of Advanced Motorists driving test. The exact same quote about being 'meat in the sandwich' was used also and whole heartedly agree with accelerating out of the danger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:25 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:36 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Theres rumours going around Gt Yarmouth that a section of the A47 (Acle straight) will require all lorries and HGVs to be limited to 40 by GPS whilst on that piece of road. This road is a notorious blackspot, mainly because of overtaking. It is a national limit, so surely limiting vehicals to 40 would just increase the overtaking manouvers, and increase accidents. Personnaly I feel that this road, like many others would benefit from a minimum speed limit, as if traffics flowing at a decent speed the overtakes, and consquently the accidents would be reduced! However we have to drive on roads where doing 35mph in a 60 limit is ok, carrying a knife is ok, (I work on the doors, and I know the same bloke got let off twice in 2 weeks for waving one on Yarmouth seafront) but your'e a menace to society for doing 71 on a dual carriageway at 3am and you're the only car on the road!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:38 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

This is a passionate subject for me aswell.

Now, as of the last few months, I decided i was fed up with the amount i was spending on fuel, So, the majority of what i do being motorway driving, i decided to take my average speed down from 70-80 to 60.

Now, that may sound pretty boring, but ive actually found it to be a rather refreshing change.

The benefits straight up are that i spend a great deal less on fuel each week (almost a saving of 10-15 pounds!!)

But there are other benefits, you dont need to overtake as much, as your going the same speed as the lorrys and you dont catch up with them, which results in a more stress free drive.

Also, if you go everywhere at full tilt, it numbs your sense of acceleration, so if you take it easy everywhere, when you DO decide to throw it around a couple of corners, you get that giddy first sense of being "let loose" When it is safe to do so of course.

Allas i digress.

I dont approve of speed restrictions at all, and i think it would make it unsafe, i also think it insulting, that the government is throwing everyone into a basket of "cant be trusted's"

I also dont like the fact that, every day it gets crammed down my throat about how i use my car to get into work and i should hate myself for it.

I live 17 miles away from work, and where i live out in the country, there is NO public transport.

During one week i tried public transport, which involved a lift to a train station, a train, a LONG wait, a bus and a LONG walk.

It took me 5 times as long to get into work, and worse, cost me 1.5 times what it costs me in fuel each week!

i ALSO dont like the whole "C02" war, my god... i dont give a ratts ass about how much C02 i put out, And they ALWAYS make motoring the main cause of c02 emissions, nevermind figures that suggest the entire worldwide motoring economy attributes to just 5% of global carbon emissions.....

Im going on a rant now so, ill quit it and have a cool off i think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:16 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

made me laugh

no need to worrie this will never happen atleast in our lifetime mabie our kids will suffer from this one day :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:40 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:52 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

If this does ever happen then the gps should speed you up for going to slow also, at least then horseboxes, caravans and old people might go faster than 25!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:46 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:11 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]