It's a very straight forward job but thought id write this guide anyway. This is for a gen1 but im pretty sure its the same process for the gen 2.
1. Get your fingers under the lip of the gear gaiter and give it a good pull. May take abit of force if it has never been out before. It doesnt come off fully si if you turn it so it faces
2. Get a good grip on the center console i find grabbing it from the side is a good place. Again give it a good pull. Then dissconect the wiring harness from the back (should be covered in the grey foam stuff) You can then pull it completly out.
3. Now you need to get on your hands and knees and look up under the drivers side footwell and to the left you will see the following,
4. Now undo the following screws marked by the red arrows.
They is also one behind the dash light dimmer dial. Just pop it out with a flat head screw driver and unclip the wiring harness.
5. Take off the top of the steering coloum just grab it from the sides and it will 'pop' off as the top part is just cliped on. You dont need to take the bottom part off but if you want to it is held in with 3 screws underneath.
6. Now take the dash and give it a good pull till it comess away abut 2 inch then on the back where the rear wiper/cruis buttons are unclip the wiring harness's do the same for the connections on the heater controls, clocks, fogs etc. You also need to unclip that funny looking block of coloured pipes it will 'hiss' abit as the air escapes out the system dont worrie as this normal. The wiring harnes's are different sides and some are colour coded so they should be no chance you can put them in the wrong connections.
Sorry for the lack of pictures from step 5 but my camera went dead
when i next have the dash out i will take some more and update.
To put back you just do everything in reverse.
If i have missed anything please add a comment. Mods if this is worthy to be in the step by step guids pleasee add it.