The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:26 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this a wise move for my new car next year?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:53 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen1
In some respects its not as it's an Alfa so now doubt will blow up before i even change gear but i've always liked the 156 with the full kit and large spoiler and i've seen loads with like 70,000 miles or so for like £1,500 - £2,000 in brilliant nick; even that lovely silver blue they do it in.

I know im gunna get one anyway no matter what; but just wondering what all you're views on them were...... tought getting one no matter what gunna be driving alot less next year anyway.

Also coupe if staying as a project.

ALSO saving money for maybe a better 156 with less miles or a newerish one; hence why not going to meets and stuff and no-mods or anything for the car if i can help it.

Something like this.... gawd i love em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:13 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

I test drove a 156 2.0TS and a fine time I had. Having done a bit of research, I'd have one as a weekend car, but driving one daily would lead to a rapidly emptying wallet. Lots of issues once they've reached a certain age - if you can bear the consequences, then go for it...

Caveat Emptor, my friend :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:21 pm 

Rik'n'Vik wrote:
Lots of issues once they've reached a certain age

Yeah i heard that thats so odd though, surely they can't all be like that.... waaaaaaaaaaa? why!? they're so brilliant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:23 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3
Had the 3.2 24valve before I bought the coupe..... The engine is a dream, The build quality is crap....Things just fall off for no reason..... Then there is the rust... You treat it, go to bed and when you get up it's popped up somewhere else...... Plus it just doesn't look as good as the coupe... But I guess everyone has to have an Alfa one day just to open her up a listen to the tone of the engine..

Good luck....You will need it... :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:25 pm 

Hendrix wrote:
Had the 3.2 24valve before I bought the coupe..... The engine is a dream, The build quality is crap....Things just fall off for no reason..... Then there is the rust... You treat it, go to bed and when you get up it's popped up somewhere else...... Plus it just doesn't look as good as the coupe... But I guess everyone has to have an Alfa one day just to open her up a listen to the tone of the engine..

Good luck....You will need it... :lol

......... ow :( i wonna hear a good story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:27 pm 

Errrm, I dunno...

I can say that my bro has a 156 - 3 weeks after passing it's MoT it decided to spring some oil leak that required garage attention to the tune of around £900 in total. That was not main dealer either, something to do with the Crankshaft oil seals I belive...

Seriously mate, avoid if using daily...

They look good, but like all things good lookin' they can hurt your wallet big time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:32 pm 

Well then my second choice it is already eh?

Galant

Why?

Same engine style as a lancer (not evo tuned obviously) will never die and you don't see toooooo many around, i've always had a soft spot for them too lol :P

Also if anyone is intrested theres a Galant import that you should check out

2.5 litre V6 twin turbo. Is that more power standard then the EVO? Yes, yes it is.

Last edited by Smuglin Peanuts on Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:55 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Personally I'd go for a 2.5 or a 3.2 V6 in a 156. I've never experienced the Twinspark engines nor the 2.4 10v/20v diesel units, but I do have the 3.0 V6 in my GTV and you need to hear and experience the engine at least once in your life!

Just search on youtube for Alfa V6 Exhaust and you will hear one of the greatest engine noises of all time. I really do need to spend some money on a decent exhaust for mine.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:03 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
I'd say go for the galant, only cause i have a soft spot for them too, they just look so angry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:43 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

i would go for the gallant,as i worked as an alfa tech for a number of years and im sorry to say they are crap you will just hemeridge money on one all the time nothing but problems,but i have to say you cant beat the sound of the v6 and iff its the older v6 engine it looks great with the chrome intakes,

steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:35 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Peanuts, I had a 2.0 156 in red with the full GTA body kit, 17 inch teledial alloys, low level spoiler & plush leather interior. It was a stunning car and got loads of compliments & admiring glances. I loved it and it had a bit of poke too. The only thing is, when they go wrong they tend to be very expensive to fix. There was nothing really wrong with mine other than noisy tappets but got a good deal when I ended up trading in for my first gen 3 V6 but do admit that I miss it.

There's no doubt the Gallant will be more reliable and a bit of a sleeper but my choice would be the Alfa. It's like Clarkson said 'you're not a real petrolhead until you've owned an Alfa'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:00 pm 

Well i kinda do wonna own an alfa if only for a bit but i guess i'll have to wait a bit....

Anyway just changed the picture of the galant have a nose at that one ya gotta admit its soo sexy, i so love the front. Just looks amazing and in black mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm or they do this kinda off grey/gold/bronze/silver colour ya know the one i mean? Can't find too many of them and in that colour they're just splendif-er-if-ic! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:47 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

get it get it get it! alfas pull the heart strings like nothing else. i luv em!i bought the coupe while i was waiting for my dream alfa (147 Ti limited edition) to come up but loved the coupe!) my dad said it would fall apart but i would love the pieces if it did! if u saw top gear on sunday it gives an example of what italian cars are like but when they work they are mega!soon as i get some money i saw a savage low mileage 147 2.0 selespeed!if ur gonna break down do it in style!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

see what youve done now,speak of the devil and it rears its ugly head,ive just took delivery of a freinds alfa 147 twin spark in need of work doing to it,ie new sump as he hit a speed bump also timing belt and variater plus full service etc,just when you think you can relax another heap turns up :lol

steve :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:47 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

timing belts are know to snap early on the 147s...its not a flaw its a characteristic ;) :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:44 pm 

Prefer the 147s in black if im honest, brilliant when they work. so only as a weekend car as anything more than delivery mileage will generally end up with some hefty repair bills

The Galant - looked at one myself before the coupe but couldnt afford the insurance on one (£4000+++). 2.5V6 Twin Turbo without the stigma of an EVO attached to it.

or spend £500 on a shitter and plough the other 2k into forced induction on the coupe :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:25 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
an alfa says your an individual-you like style yet your not pretentious,unlike bmw and audi owners............
it shows money is not the issue but style and driving style rank highly
however you also need an extremely deep wallet and a long stretching sense of humour..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:56 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

i thought og getting 156, as there cheap and look great, i do like the gallant to, but what pushed me off them and the skoda octavia vrs and jag x type sport, and peanuts consider this. i was 22, im now 25 im single why do i need the image of a family car 4 door salon. there will be times in you life when you'll need a family car, so buy a good looking/fast one at that time. until then its sports cars as you wont have the chance again until you 50-60 and the problem then is my dad loves driving my coupe but it takes him 4 days to get in and out. if you want an alfa now like all petrol heads do get a gtv. there knocking out for 156 money aswell. but ive owned italian cars and there shockingly poor build quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:40 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

well two of my friends have puntos and nothing ever went wrong. my cousins bf has a V6 156 (v rare here, and suffice to say he is welcome to the family :lol ) and thats been to the moon and back and nothign ever went wrong. he takes care of it more then a regular car but its def worth it!

Last edited by paul896 on Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:02 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5
I love the Galant VR-4 :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

i have always had a soft spot for the galant - and was looking at them before i got my gen 1. But man, they are HUUUGE! The thing that ruined it for me was the rear - its ugly as hell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:02 pm 

androo007 wrote:
i have always had a soft spot for the galant - and was looking at them before i got my gen 1. But man, they are HUUUGE! The thing that ruined it for me was the rear - its ugly as hell

Yes yes yes i know what you mean by the rear looking lame. But to be honest i might be only 23, but meh do i really care that much for a "sports" car; i can get whatever i like when i like and the coupes not going anyway... if you can really call it sport >giggles< annnnnd i dunno 4 doors is always handy, and i dunno its nice and big, comfy, quiet, i like thoes kinda things. And if im like "i want some noise" i'll just go down and rev the engine of the coupe a bit, then shove the cover back on it....

i don't really know what i want, but meh the gallant does look nice; and if i need a family car later on in life, but with a bit of fun i'll just get an Lancer EVO or like a crappy subaru (which to be honest i kinda hate/like/hate alot more), or theres alot more high powered 4 door saloons out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

whats your budget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:22 am 

I probs don't want to spend more then £3000 max, and i mean max. I never see a point in spending alot on a car that im never going to get back. Only when i have mucho monies fomr god knows where would i splash out ona car and even then i'd probs buy something old skool like an RX-7

:P and i mean if i had millions i'd go out and buy one of them. My bother like i dunno 10 - 11 years ago when he was 18 bought his Celica GT4 for like £8,000 if i recall (it is a fancy one though); and now he's like "i'm lucky if i could get £2000 for it even with all the fancies" so yeah im not really bothered with fancy dancy cars............ his car just sits in a garage now im not sure he ever wants to sell it really; he keeps saying he will but ya know.... awwww poor him. Such a beauty too. And i mean its stunning in all respects... perhaps i should just buy that off him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:13 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

eeer YES?! A GT4?! Id be stomping round there right now for 2k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:12 pm 

androo007 wrote:
eeer YES?! A GT4?! Id be stomping round there right now for 2k

Well you say that, but here we go

Original suspension broken, new suspension rock soilid any bump in the road makes me hit my hea din that car.

119,000 miles

Front splitter slightly cracked on one side

Rear passanger suspension strut going

Fuel consumption down to 20mpg max

Deafening to drive round in

Ummmm and plenty more stuff :P

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]