The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem Starting Gen 1 1.6se
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:47 pm 

Coupe: gen1
:confused ok the cars been fine no problems what so ever until this morning :(
deiced the windows and was about to head off to work until i tried to start her that is.

at first i thought maybe my starter might be stuck (not turning the engine over) so to make sure this wanst the case i put the ar in gear and tried to start it iwht out the clutch been on, the car moved foward so i knew the starter was working fine as it was turning the engine.

second thing i did was hook the missus car battery up to mine (jump start it) i thought my battery might be dead due to the cold weather and constant cranking.
this didnt help the engine was turning over as it did before but nothing, (i suspected the fuel intake but as this car hasnt had a problem before with cutting out or stalling i ignored that first thought and paid more attention to the electrics)

after checking fuses swapping a few relays around and cranking it i decided to give up for a bit and get warm back inside the house.
about an hour or two later after browsing this site for answers i decided that i would just constantly crank until it starts, (didnt want to kill the battery or burn anything out but i had no other choice)
it started but i have never heard it sound so lumpy (it didnt want to idle at all so for about 3 minutes i had my foot on the accelerator keeping it going.)
after leaving it for a further 5 minutes i turned it off and tried to start it again luckly its working fine and will start now.

so this is what i can describe so far

car didnt want to start (cold weather below -0.5)
after constant cranknig (20second intervals) the car starts
car dosnt idel as smooth as it did before
battery voltage is above 12v

what im going to do today instead of going to work, buy electrical cleaner and wd40 i will disconnect some of the visable sensores and connections i can see spary with cleaner leave to dry out then after reconecting i will lightly dust (spray) cables and connections with wd40 to act as a barrier stop mouister.
i used to have problem with my mk3 golf gti and this seemed to help fix it so hopeing this will do the trick as well i might also get a fuel cleaning solution help the injection system out a bit.

if anyone has any ideas pleas feel free to add

Post subject: Re: Problem Starting Gen 1 1.6se
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:05 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

I can't remember which it is, but it could be either the camshaft position sensor (think it's that one, actually) or the crankshaft position sensor starting to fail. Would be a good idea to WD40 the plugs, leads and other electricals too first though. As you say.

I have a working CPS for sale if thats the one at fault (£7 posted)...

Post subject: Re: Problem Starting Gen 1 1.6se
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:41 pm 

Coupe: gen1
thanks for the quick reply

just got back from shops with everything i need.
car is also booked in to be hooked up to diagnostic machine only £10 flat rate. that is if it picks anything up.

will have a look hopefully if anything is wrong with it the diagnostic machine should pick it up.

i also picked up some fuel cleaner wich is supposed to help clean out the injectors and fuel line.
tough choice but in the end i chose slick 50 fuel treatment. (ment to get rid of any deposits on valves etc..)

will keep you guys informed when i know whats happening ah and thanks for the CPS will keep it in mind.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]