The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems with lights/electrics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hi folks

Just after some advice regarding electrics. I know that the electrics on Coupes are supposed to go tits up at around the 10-year mark, and it appears the same thing's happening to mine now too. I have no sidelights, no headlight on the driver's side, and no brake light on the rear driver's side. I have checked the bulbs and I know they are fine, as the lights occasionally come back on again every now and then, but refuse to work most of the time. The bulb behind the temperature guage only seems to work intermittently too - it seems everything on the right side of the car has gone bonkers.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Can anyone suggest the best way to remedy this? Is there something I can do myself? If so, what's the cost most likely to be?

I live in B'ham and only a few miles from Sharky, so I will most probably end up taking it round to his - but in the mean time, I'm just trying to guage what the damage will be. :\

Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Problems with lights/electrics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:45 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: SIII
checked the fuse?? sounds like it could be a bit dodgy. As far as i can think that is the only common link to those lights on the right hand side of the car.

The temperature guage light again might be a dodgy bulb or it might have come loose in its holder. get it all out and have a look. check the wiring (as much as you can) for frays and the ends/connections for any deteriation and clean up if nessesary(sp?)

god i can't spell tonight nothing looks right

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:07 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

lol, thanks for the reply. I never thought of the fuse. The thing is, these lights have all begun to fail at different times, so I'm not convinced that would be the cause. The headlight and sidelights only went on Friday night. The rear break has been out for weeks. And the temperature guage has been on the blink for ages. I guess I was thinking maybe there's a central point where all the wires connect on the right side, and there was a faulty connection or something.

But I'll have a look at the fuses tomorrow in daylight. It will help to narrow things down a bit, at least. :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:12 am 

Coupe: SIII
sounds silly but check the bulbs aswell, swap them with the same bulb and position on the other side of the car. My megane has a reverse light out which is the bulb. the filament looks fine, so i thought it was the circuit board, swapped it with the other side and that bulb is still the same.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:22 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Cool, cheers. It's my lunch break in an hour's time, so I'll give it a go then.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]