[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Has anyone hard-wired a tom tom system? or charger?
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:51 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Has anyone hard-wired a tom tom system? or charger?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:46 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hi guys.

Has anyone hard wired a tom tom system into their car instead of plugging it into the cigarette lighter??

I have my iphone installed and its a real pain when I want to charge my iphone and tomtom. I know you can get lighter sockets which give you two socktes but it just looks so untidy. So I was wondering if someone has hard wired a system before and also if they have how did they do it?

Did you take aother loom off the original power supply from the cigarette lighter? or
Did you hard wire another completely different set of wires from a empty fuse socket?

I've googled for hours and not found much. If someone could help or even give some advice on what they would do if they had to hard wire a system in then I would appreciate it.

Cheers guys :)

Post subject: Re: Has anyone hard-wired a tom tom system? or charger?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen3
I installed a snooper into a previous car by splicing into the ciggy loom as i dont like using the lighter, its only two wires and not at all difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

And this is why I love this forum!!!!

wrote out my question and "bing" i have a reply within 5 minutes.

Big thanks mate.

Ummm so you just split the cigarette loom? Did the lighter socket still work? as i'd like to still use the lighter socket for the tomtom but also have my iphone hardwired, as i thought about taking that lead out through the dash board.

Also mate (sorry for all the questions) Even though i'm a engineer my electricla know how is limited. Did you simply solder the wires into the wiring loom? (i'm guessing there black and red??? :confused or did you have a sepereate component you installed?

thanks for your quick reply

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:12 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

you may be better splicing a double/tripple cigy adapter into the back rather than individual things as this will allow you to plug items in a hidden place AND still keep each individual item fused to the corect rating.

plus there are many cases where the sockets have converters in when a device only needs 5v rather than 12.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:22 pm 

The snooper i had was designed so if you wanted to splice it in then you could with no problems as it could also be installed into a motorcycle. The ciggy lighter still worked afterwards. And yes, the wires are red and black.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:41 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I hadn't thought about wiring a cigaretter splitter and hiding it somewhere.... thats not a bad idea as then I wont have any voltage problems as you mentioned....

Is there enough room behing the front dash to fit the cigarette splitter? or would it had to go somewhere like the drop down dash drawer on the passenger side (hahah sorry, I cant think of the name of the dam thing haha)

Thanks angelus... Sounds like something that can easily be done. Cheers for the advice. (is there enough wire to get to the cigarette loom from the front of the dash?? or would it be best to go under the steering wheel and find the wire)

just thought i'd ask the question as you've done it before and it would save me routing around for hours to find the best place to attack the cable.

thanks guys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm 

Personally i would go from directly behind the ciggy lighter, if you add another one say inside the glovebox or something like that you will have to add on some extra wire for it to reach. There is a load of room behind the dash/radio area so you shouldnt have any problems with space or placement.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]