The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Weird Voltage Reading...
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:09 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
When I bought my Coupe the interior light had one of those fancy LED festoon bulbs fitted in it white instead of being white was actually blue this was fairly amusing for about 10 seconds, so I decided to replace the LED with a regular festoon bulb but it didn't illuminate... :shrug

Tried another one and it didn't illuminate either...

Tried a third regular festoon bulb and yup you've guess it still didn't come on... :confused

Well I just hooked my voltmeter up to the contacts and discovered that there's only something like 9.2 volts up there - surely that's not normal? I'd have expected at reduced voltage that the bulb would at least emit a slight glow.

Silly blue LED light festoon bulbs for me until this is rectified... :pants

Post subject: Re: Weird Voltage Reading...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:44 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Did you try turning the white LED bulbs around? You know that, unlike normal bulbs, they have a right and a wrong way round?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:17 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: SIII
turning round will just make it work or not work not change the colour output. I think LED's require less draw so that maybe why they lit-up in the first place. have you checked the connections and wires goin to the holder??? or the holder for any corrosion??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Yeah, I knew about the directional current thing with LED's :thumbup

The terminals look very clean and fresh, no signs of any corrosion at all up, in fact I've not noticed anything that would suggest there was a problem - it's just that the LED light was becoming a PITA ;)

However, to contradict myself in the next sentence...I did notice last night that when I open the door the light isn't coming on automatically - seems to be an electrical gremlin somewhere.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
does your buzzer (for want of a better word) work with the lights on and door open? if not door switch is my guess.

try touching you multi meter from the +ve to an earth other than the one for the light and see what that gives you.

johny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:42 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Funnily enough - when I had my starter motor problem (again) tonight I opened the door and the interior light worked...hmmmm

A mate has borrowed my multi-meter last nite, so I'll need to get it back before any investigations take place.

I'll check on the lights buzzer thing next time the interior light doesn't come on when I open the door too!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:01 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Well this is a bit strange...

Depending on how the car feels... if I open the door the light or may not come on but the lights on alarm will always ding.

If I push the switch for the rear fog lights the clock will go off and reset to 1:00 and the fog lights are not illuminated either...

If I have the interior light switched on with the door closed - the light will go off as soon as I open the door... :shrug

Definite case of electrical gremlins at work here....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 pm 

yeah and by the sounds it of actual gremlins running around pressing switches you never knew you had :rollin

its prob somethin soo simple though haha good luck with it

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:19 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Well I'm wondering if I might have a bad earth in the car?

Last night I was up at a mates house and when I opened the car door the interior light was much brighter than its been recently - when I put the key in the ignition the clock was also brighter.

I even changed the LED bulb for a regular festoon bulb and it worked :beer

I set the clock (which has been resetting to 1:00) and it kept the time all the way up until some time this morning.

After the clock reser to 1:00 the door light didn't come on and I couldn't turn on the light with the switch either - so the voltage must have dropped again? As I drove back from my mates place the clock was dimmer than it should be - I think the picture is getting a little more clear now. :bow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Bit of an update...

Had a look at the car last week and all was well - was away for 4 days and the clock kept the settings.

The interior lights all came on properly and the clock was the correct brightness until this evening after I'd driven the car with 3 stops in between pulling up at the house.

When I opened the door the interior light didn't come on - Ball Ox! :bang

Now a mate of mine came round last Thursday (I think) and we looked at all of the connections and terminals, checked earths etc too... didn't actually find any actual problems apart from reduced voltage at the interior light terminals (9.x V). We pulled every fuse out of the kick panel fuse box and re-seated them - after doing so (for no real reason) the interior and boot lights were working and the clock was on the correct level of brightness - the voltmeter showed over 12v for the interior light.

So in summary - I un-did the battery terminals and made sure they were clean & I removed and re-seated the fuses in the fuse box.

I'll try re-seating all of the fuses in the fuse box tomorrow to see if I can replicate the "cure" - naturally I'm hoping for more than 5 days at a time!

Any other ideas guys/girls... :bow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:18 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Hmmm, Tres Strange...

Loosened connection on the fuseboard. Dry joint, like? :shrug

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:29 pm 

the first thing that crossed my mind was a dry joint showin its ugly rear.

I guess the only other thing is a drain from either a relay not switching properly or a loose wire goin onto somewhere it shouldn't?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:35 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Had the same sort of problem myself. Check the screws are tight underneath the sunglasses holder. They seem to be problematic in thgis area as mine works, and then doesnt even having repalced the whole cluster, I usually just rotate the bulb around in its metal holders until the light comes on and tthat usually works for a period of time.

I tried cleaning up the contacts but didnt make a difference

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:15 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Well I was out in the car this evening - when I got in, the lights were all working perfectly and when I came back the same thing...

I can deal with the light not coming on or the clock resetting really - it's just that I think this is all connected with my mysterious (intermittent) "non-starting" starter motor.

That's to say that when the voltage drops down to 9.x V this may not be enough to activate the solenoid for the starter motor?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:45 am 

More then likely, did you say you checked the teminals on the battery??? have you had the laternator checked??? if not, then if you know how to use a multimeter start the car and put EVERYTHING on, lights, fogs, mainbeams, heaters/ac on full, wipers, stereo turned up, hazard lights etc etc hook the multimeter to the battery to check for voltage, should read somewhere around 14.4V if not then the problems lies around you alternator somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

OK then - was round at another mates today - he's a BSc (Hons) in Electronic Engineering and to be honest - I know more than him it appears...lol

So it seems that the problem with the lights/clock etc was down to a dodgy fuse - that box of 24 fuses from Poundland came in very handy. My mate thought it was the door switches though...

Anyway, we did check everything battery, alternator etc etc., battery terminals show 14.45~14.5V when the engine is running.

Now everything was hunky dory and I did quite a few stops around town today but had to stop at the other end to go to the Post Office and when I came out the starter didn't engage once more - :swear

Sooo I had a wee walk home - it'll start when I go back along to it.... :aargh

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]