The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:48 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Horn constantly running (not drivers horn)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:12 pm 

Coupe: gen3
Hi all

Have a bit of an issue with my gen3 coupe (2002). A few days ago noticed that the headlights, rear lights and dashboard would light up for 10 second periods whilst the door was closed, keys removed and alarm activated. Couldn't work out what was causing it as it continued even if I turned off the alarm. The lights were even switched off on the dash. I finally stopped it by pulling and reseating the fuses in the dash. Thought to myself that was too easy and went on went my life. However, and it is a big however, I was awoken at 4.30 in the morning with the horn constantly sounding (not the alarm with the flashing lights and the high pitched ear piercing noise). As you can imagine this proved very popular with the neighbours. The alarm would not dis-engage, the doors would not open. The only way in was to manually open the door with the key, which then set off the full alarm. The car started fine, but the alarm and horn did not stop. The only way to shut it up was to pop the bonnet and disconnect the battery. The following day I checked the car over and discovered that the horn was not the drivers horn but was a secondary horn. All of the fuses were fine. Does anyone know what has broken and is there a way of fixing it? My suspicion is that the immobiliser or original non-scorpion alarm is knackered. BTW my key has a separate fob with two buttons, one open/locks the door and starts/stops the alarm and the other just sets the alarm on/off.

Any ideas/suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Horn constantly running (not drivers horn)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:14 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: SIII
ghosts :mrgreen:

lol sorry mate can't help much more then that, but it sounds insane. what alarm does it have???

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:04 pm 

Sounds like you have the stock alarm that was installed for uk use by hyundai, they sometimes have odd problems and were changed for a much better one by warranty if they went wrong.

As for the buttons, if you lock the car with the big button and have a window/sunroof open, pressing the little button turns off the internal movement sensors so the alarm doesnt go off when the sensors detect movement/pressure. Very useful imo and ive used it a lot. (you have to press the small button when the indicator light is steady on)

Sounds like you have a short somewhere, a dealer would know what to do properly or you could ask an auto electrician.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:13 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
sounds like a scorpion alarm performing its death throws

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:32 pm 

Thanks for all of the comments and sorry about not getting back to you all sooner. Basically my normal mechanic had a look and couldn't find the problem. He then sent it to the dealership who programmed another key fob which only worked the original non UK compliant alarm. They then told me if it happens again use the new key fob to disable the original alarm and charged me a small fortune for a cheap piece of plastic. So far so good. Picked up the car drove it home no problems. Took it to work and back again the following day; no problems. Decided to take my little boy to the swimming pool this afternoon; no problems. Came out the pool to find the car's horn is on constantly. Took out the new key fob pressed the disable button - nothing happened. Tried the original fob - nothing happened. The horn was just running constantly. Had to open the car door with the key, which set off the 2nd UK compliant scorpion alarm, popped the bonnet and disconnected the battery. Peace at last. In the meantime my 2 year old was getting more and more upset - especially as he loves my car and couldn't understand why it was make such a "bad noise". Called my breakdown cover people again who sent a recovery truck. The guy arrived 45 minutes later (not complaining as I was expecting a lot longer), who disconnected and removed the offensive horn (situated on the RHS of the battery). I know this doesn't fix the underlying problem, but at least it meant I could drive the thing home in peace and without the police pulling me over and means that I can sleep through the night without worrying that it will go off and annoy the neighbours again.

However, on the way home another symptom arose. For large parts of the 20 minute journey the speedometer would read 0 MPH even though I was clear moving a lot faster. It would read correctly then sporadically go to zero as if the power had been cut from the needle. Seems to me that this is much more than an alarm issue - but then again I am no expert.

Any other advice as always would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]