[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - rear window heater
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:32 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] 
 Post subject: rear window heater
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:47 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Coupe: gen3
now then, i posted a similar subject when i first joined here, and i never got this issue sorted, basically my rear window doesn't heat up and demist, defrost or anything that involves heat.
Realised there was a fuse missing for the mirrors an thought "yay fixed" and low and behold, it doesnt work still! :aargh
recently just resorted to wiping it, which smears and looks a mess, then realised its no longer just mist, its dripping wet, this then got worse with the recent weather as my window was frozen outside and inside.
now this seriously cant be right!

checked to make sure power is goin through the window, and it shows the same as the voltage on the dial in the front.

cant see any breaks in the lines, window had a residue on it so gave it a good clean, but still no joy!

do i need a new window? could i have a leak in the seal?

im at a loss, i love this car yet so far apart from the performance, its been pants for reliability of well everything!

any ideas? i just want my coupe niggle free! :dontgetit

Post subject: Re: rear window heater
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:48 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
go see sharky in birmingham.nice day out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:57 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I have exactly the same problem and rather than make a new post I thought I would join on the band wagon.

My wing mirrors defrost but not my rear window.

I took the trim off and did a circuit test on the two wire connectors and I have both voltage and therefore continuity.

I have even wired an led off the two wires which tells me that there is definitely current to the back window...just incase the light on the dash board wasnt giving a true picture.

I have inspected the lines and there doesnt appear to be any breaks in the lines and anyway I cant believe that every line would be broken.

However, I am not 100% certain of how these windows work...is it merely the demister lines that carry the current from one side of the window to the other or is there an outer perimeter too (hidden behind the rubber / window trim ?). If "yes" then all lines could be broken but the continuity is maintained by an outer perimeter.

Any advice appreciated

Brett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:00 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
switch?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:52 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:38 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

you are a clever chappy Mr Rik - thats very useful info to know there

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:47 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Thanks guys, iv just read in a online manual that if theres more than 6 volts going through the lines they are burnt out, and you have to find the break using a volt meter and tgen repair it with conductive paint, just need a volt meter now

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:39 am 

Andy - cheers mate, thats what you get for having mostly old and shagged cars I 'spose... :lol

Antibabes - You can get all you need from Halfords, but that conductive paint is not the best solution, IMHO. Difficult to apply and didn't work well for me...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Can somebody explain...because I cant get my head round this...

My rear screen doesnt heat...

But I have continuity from one side of the window to the otherside of the window and I have 12v reading when I press the rear demister switch.

If there is no hidden from view outer ring to the window and it is literally just the heat lines that carry the current from one side to the otherside of the window then surely the window should be demisting ?

Shouldnt I atleast get some of the lines in the rear screen demisting i.e. it would only be any broken lines that would fail to heat ?

...or am I missing something

Cheers

Brett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:23 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

From what iv read if theres twelve volts showing youv had a burn out on a line, there should only be 6v showing if its workin correctly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:35 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Suppose I have 10 lines and two are broken, then my understanding is that the current will still flow through the remaining eight lines, but that these will eventually burn out because they are now carrying additional current.

Then...when all lines are burnt out you will not get any continuity from one side of the window to the other.

Because I have continuity from one side of the window and if there is no hidden permeter to the window, then I should atleast get partial demisting from the lines which are carrying the continuity...but I dont get anything

Brett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:58 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I dont 100% understand it, but in the engine section of the forum is some downloadable guides and in it it explains how to solve the problem, and a load of stuff about resistance etc, i plan on attempting to fix mine this week following the guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I tried doing a search on rear windows and rear window demister etc and it didnt show anything...maybe I am doing search wrong

Can you put any links you find or use in here please

Many thanks

Brett

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:35 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Download the manual from http://www.newtiburon.com/forums/showth ... dai+manual and it tells you how to find breaks in the lines and to repair them, dont no how well it works but like i say im gonna try it this week

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Hi

I followed the web link and downloaded the PDF documents etc but I couldnt find any document which said how to find breaks

Do you know which document it is ?

Cheers

Brett

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I found it

Using your link above, download "Tiburon-Shop-Manual.zip"
When unzipped it's in the PDF called BE.pdf
Page 79 & 80

Some excellent tips on how to find a breakage using foil and a meter!!!!

I am going to get hold of some conductive paint and have a go on the weekend

Many thanks!

Brett

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:21 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

took a while for me to get chance to try fixing my window, but attempted it today only to find the conductive paint i bought over a month ago is dried up!
the bottle is on tiny, never opened and when i opened it it was all stuck to one side! maybe it'd be easier to buy a new window, dam expensive though :cry

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]