[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Safety Recall R2006/111 (60B31) - Handbrake
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:35 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:25 pm 

Slightly different scenario but I just detailed exactly what the issue was for all to see. And that's the power behind it - just send Hyundai a link and they'll understandably be rather concerned that what they see in front of them is also what countless millions of others on the Internet will. Sure - only a very small minority will actually be interested but the threat of greater exposure still exists.

I removed the 24selfishvideo site as it had served it's purpose and having had a conversation with the MD I was satisfied he wouldn't let his franchisees do it again. My local paper were going to run a story on it but I wasn't after 'fame' - and indeed didn't wanted to be seen locally as a bit of a trouble maker!

My NorthernCrock site is still up - just click the link. I'd take it down.. if they ask me to - they've only ever threatened me and not once asked politely!!

Mathew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:36 pm 

Hi

Could I just say to everyone on the forum that my failure seems to be different from the other one mentioned on the forum, I had been driving my car and had parked up on my drive with also a very sligh gradiant around 4:15, then left in my works car at about 4:25, I got a phone call about 4:55 from a friend in the street saying that my car had rolled down the drive and into a van (stationery) I immedatley made my way home and thought I had left the handbrake off but when I got home the handbrake was not of but fully engaged, I could not pull it up any more what i could do was push the car forward, but the handbrake has now been checked by the dealer and they have given me a report saying it has passed all checks, so how can a car with handbrake fully applied move? I think it's going to be very difficult to prove even with local witnesses.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:57 pm 

It does indeed sound different... maybe put the website on hold for now... ;)

Could the rear discs have been hot, and hence expanded? As they cool they'd contract which can lead to brake failure however this is rare given the tension in the cable is usually sufficient to take up the slack.

Mathew

Post subject: Re: Handbrake Failed
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Coupe: gen3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:15 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Why don't you drive the car for a bit until the disks have warmed up, stop, apply the handbrake and then try to push the car. If this is done and the car moves, take it to the dealer right away and repeat the process. Tha should be enough proof for them.

Ninos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:21 pm 

Let's not get muddled here though - as Chas says the problem he faced doesn't sound related to the issue initially discussed. The Hyundai-acknowledged (or at elast implied) issue is that the handbrake ratchet/pawl can fail thus releasing the brake. However, Chas stated that his handbrake was up as far as it could go after the car had done a runner hence this is not the same thing.

Sure, Chas does have an issue that he should take up with his dealer - but it would be wrong to make any reference to the ratchet/pawl issue other than as an incidental comment.

Mathew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:19 pm 

Further update regarding my car, I contacted Hyundai who have launched a case/investigation into my complaint regarding my dealer and the car they have sent me a 3 page form to fill in. Could anyne clarify that I have a right to a refund even though the car is now damaged.

Also could anyone tell me if the clutch is very high on these cars, as mine seems unusually high to the point where it could easily be described as slipping, My car has done 6700 it was first new 01/2006 the dealer told me it was a ex hyundai dealer/employee car but I have received the log book from dvla today and the car was registered to a company called the scot group ltd, a search on the net revealed that this is a car hire company which could mean the car has been hammered with all sorts of drivers in such a short space of time and maybe this is the reason for my problems, either way I am starting to go off the car because of all this.

I am greatful for all the help and advice you guys on the forum have given me

If I where to push for a refund how would that go as I part exchanged a alfa romeo which I got £2500 for the actual car cost me £11600

Cheers

Chas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:22 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I think you should go and have a word at the and see what they have to say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:22 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Out of interest I've bought pre-reg cars before that were originally registered to a hire company, although when I bought the car it only had 6 miles on it. I don't know how pre-reg works to be honest, but it might be the same as yours.

Also I wondered if anybody had any updates on the original issue of these non recall safety issues on the handbrake. anybody had anything out of Hyundai or their dealer? Or do we just accept this as a warning sticker?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:42 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Has this fire gone out or is there still some glowing embers to stoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:02 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

I returned the form with clear comments as posted on page 1. I stated that this did not constitute a repair and that I wouldn't accept the 'paste over' as an effective remedy. If I take the car for work to be done, do I explain to everyone that the handbrake may fail if they put it on correctly....the valet, the police officer that drives it to a safe spot after my heart attack?
I have heard exactly NOTHING.

I still own the car and it is still driven daily. I'm not happy about this situation. I owe no loyalty to the UK dealerships.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:10 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

seams how hyundai is reluctant to do any thing for this major c*ck up. i have emailed whatcar? with the linked pictures of the amendments and the link to this thread, maybe we may get a fix for this evident problem

Post subject: reply from whatcar
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:04 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

i got an email straight back from whatcar? they have sent an email ask our views ect.. here is a copy of the reply

Dear Dave
Thanks for contacting us. You ask a good question - which I've passed to Hyundai with a request for a prompt response. When they do, I'll be back in touch.
Best wishes
Ray Castle
Helpdesk editor
What Car?

we should learn of any news quickly i should think...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:39 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

not being funny ............. but how does this safty recall affect you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:56 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:42 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

ok fair enougth........ i was only asking as it just look like you were trying to pick a fight with Hyundai.

If your as p*ssed about it as you seem, why would you want a GEN3?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

i agree gen 1 is a better car, (lol gen war) i like hyundai on the whole as a company i have my coupé and a terracan. my next car is likley to be a v6 gen3.75 or maybes i will just get a santa fé. who knows, as is, the coupé is excellent car which nobody can fault apart from a some-times dodgy hand brake. even including that as a down side, for the money you can't buy better.

Post subject: Re: reply from whatcar
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:55 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:29 pm 

Hey i am new to the forum and i have just purchased a gen3.5 coupe. I have had it for fourr weeks and its brand new out of the showroom and with no miles on the clock. Two weeks afterbuying it the handbrake failed on it and rolled in to the front of my house. Fortunatly the Hyundai dealer i brought the car from was very good and they repaired the handbrake and they even repaired thepantwork for free on the warrenty. just thought id mention this too you all as i was not impressed at all!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:33 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Just had a look in the SIII manual and that is stating that you should press the brake pedal and then pull the handbrake up without depressing the release button. Take it by that that they haven't fixed the problem!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 pm 

Hello,
I'm new to this forum and have been reading with increasing alarm the problems regarding the handbrake on the coupé.
I don't actually own one myself, but am trying to get to the bottom of this on behalf of my father, who bought the V6 model from new from a dealer in E. Sussex back in Sept '05 (not sure which gen this makes it).
The problem he's experienced with his car sounds slightly different to that of some of those mentioned in the threads here. Shortly after having bought the car he noticed that it wouldn't hold on an incline; however, I don't believe the ratchet has ever failed with the 'bang' that has been described.
His driveway is on a gradiant of about 15%, and when reversing the car out (cold discs) and stopping halfway (foot on brake) the car just rolls back into the garage when the handbrake is applied. Living where we do there are plenty of hills around and this fault in the handbrake becomes a real problem when stopping at a junction. Hill starts are virtually impossible meaning you have to hold the car on the clutch, or pray no-one stops too close behind you.
The dealer’s response to this was that it was normal. How could this possibly be regarded as ‘normal’? I have previously owned a car with a more effective handbrake only to have it fail an MOT due to ‘low effort on h/brake’

I was wondering if anyone had received any acknowledgement of this (judging by the number of responses here) inherent design fault. What will it take before Hyundai admit to there being a problem? A fatality?
It’s a shame, because other than this it’s a great car, and their lack of response to this safety issue can only have the effect of losing their customers’ confidence. They must realise that many people visit forums such as this to gauge customer satisfaction prior to purchasing anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:44 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:23 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:00 pm 

I agree, it's perhaps always good practice to leave any car in gear and not rely on the handbrake, but that's not really an option in a hill-start scenario. As you say - an independant test might be the only way. I just hope that the dealer agrees to rectify the fault under the warranty otherwise he'll be left with an MOT failure a year before it's due it's first MOT...
Thanks for your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:56 pm 

Interesting topic,

My wife has a 2.7 SE which she parked on a hill and fully appiled the handbrake at my sons school club. Less than half a minute after leaving the vehilce the handbrake self released and began to roll down the hill. In fear of a child or other being injured she ran after it. She leapt through the window and brought it to a halt before it hit someone. However in the process she was crushed between the vehicle and a wall causing injure to herself, All witnessed by my son.

Can i ask that anyone and there seems to be a few here and elsewhere to get in touch with me detailing their stories, so i can try and get hyundai to resolve this problem before someone is killed.

Not depressing the button on the handbrake is not a solution, it is creating another problem further down the line. The Institute of Advanced Motorists would have an issue with you trying that on an assessment drive. I dare say you would get faulted on your driving test too.

swift1212@hotmail.com

Thanks all for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:52 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Does this issue affect all Gen's of Coupe? I know the majority of this post is related to Gen 3 onwards but surely it affects all or Hyundai would easily be able to resolve the problem on newer models by going back to an older design. Sorry if it has been mentioned that it affects all gen's i may have missed this when reading thru. Occassionally on my Gen 1 on a hill when i apply the handbrake the is a small bang/noise coming from back after i release my foot from the foot brake

Post subject: Brake failure
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:55 pm 

I am not sure what gen are involved at present. The vehicle is being checked by Hyundai and independently, so we are still awaiting results.

I would recommend you err on the side of caution after what happened to my wife, i would hate to think of it happening to anyone else.

The practice of not depressing the button is dodgy at best. The DSA official guide also recommends that you use the button to prevent brake failure at a later date.

Please ayone that has suffered problems e-mail me.

swift1212@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:06 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach

Post subject: handbrake failure
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:52 pm 

New to site folks

My then less than 6 monrths old Coupe slid down an incline despite fact handbrake fully applied. It went around 75 yards and into a wall. The damage was limited so I take it that it edged rather than rolled.

The dealer reckoned the ratchet tooth was burred and damaged and replaced it. Hyundai techs reckon there is nowt wrong with it, and refuse to stump up for the damage to rear bumper.

I had thought that the damage to tooth meant it had slipped on to next one, causing a critical lessening of cable tension. But having read this I am not so sure

Some of the related postings are rather old but do not tell of outcome anyone who has anything to say on it can get to me on martinjwhunter@hotmail.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:03 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:52 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Now then fella - Im based in Knaresborough too (My gym 'Chris Jones Martial Arts Centre) on the high street :-)

I have a Gen 3 badged with 'Tuscani' - had an issue with my handbreak too, but I took it to a mate of mine at PR motors in Harrogate (near Focus). They gave it a good look over and fixed it for peanuts.. dont always believe what a main dealer tells you!

Failing that, go into the dealership and play hell with them - If they wont budge when your nice, make a bit more noise.... I'm sure they wouldnt want someone in a Hyundai garage ranting on about known handbreak issues with Hyundai vehicles with potential buyers around at the sametime. Its amazing what happens when you mention the sales of goods act or trading standards too.

I bought my coupe from the local Harro dealership before they went under - they screwed up a job on my dash back when I first bought mine, tried to lie about it, then eventually after I kicked up an enormous fuss in the main entrance, they replaced the lot for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject: What to tell the dealer when your handbrake fails
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 pm 

Post subject: Interesting stuff....
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:19 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

I know this is an old thread but I need some serious help. I seem to be having major problems with my handbrake - IT DOES NOT HOLD AT ALL ON A HILL! I bought this car privately a week ago, the car itself was put through an mot 2 weeks ago. It sailed through with NO advisory. I did not notice the handbrake fault at first otherwise i wouldnt have bought it unless it had been fixed hence why it was mot only a week before purchase.

However i took it to my local garage for them to have a look at the handbrake, they said they cant find anything wrong with it and how steep exactly is the hill i am trying to pull off from (cheek!). Anyhow i told the lad that the hill does not have to be steep at all and that if he like he could take it for a test drive he then came back and said oh yes i see what you mean (thankyou!) but theres nothing we can do to help you?

I then today took it to my local hyundai garage to have asked me to take it to them in the week so they can have a look. I am almost 100% sure that this can not be general wear and tear the brake pads are not old and the other garage told me the cable doesnt need changing. My car is still under waranty for another year but am afraid that hyundai are going to slap me in the face with a massive bill and for me off. :roll:
Des anybody have any advice they can give me I am at my wits end? :bang

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:39 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject: Rubbish Handbrake System
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:29 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2