[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Refurbing Alloys
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:33 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Refurbing Alloys
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:16 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
I'm in the middle of refurbing my alloys - I'm going to be filling the curb marks, will the added weight of the filler mean the wheels will need rebalancing - I know the weight of filler will be minimal but just want to check as i know nothing about wheel balancing and how easy they are to unbalance?

Post subject: Re: Refurbing Alloys
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:33 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: SIII
10g can be felt easily. i would definately take the weights off before you start spraying them and once its all done take them to get balanced. make sure they don't static balance them....has to be dynamic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

not sure i can give a definate answer - weights can be as small as 5g - not so sure that a bit of filler would make them that bad though tbh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I don't think I'll be using a lot of filler, would it be safe to remove the weights (i'm not sure what size they are - I'll check tomorrow in the light), respray the wheels and to drive to a garage (<5 miles) with unbalanced wheels?

How much does it cost to get wheels balanced roughly?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:05 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Set of 4, off the car (saves 'em labour) would be a tenner tops.

Deffo worth taking the weights off, fella - when I did the refurb on the EVO rims, I had them strip everything off. I then did the filling and painting etc, then the tyres and balancing done in one hit.

Wheels can benafit from a rebalance as the rubber wears, or if they are kerbed badly - thats how sensitive it can be...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:24 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Thanks for the replies,

I'm probably going to need to have one wheel balanced at a time, I've only got the 4 wheels that are on the car, and the spare, so was planning on doing one at a time, swapping them with the spare - especially if I'm going to remove the weights as I use the car daily, and haven't got time to refurb them all in one go - Its a bigger job than i thought it would be.....

Rik, What filler did you use when you did yours?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:51 pm 

Chemical Metal by Plastic Padding.

Is a 2 part Epoxy derived material. Sticks like ---- to a blanket, hardens quicker than a male ----star, can be drilled and tapped for a thread, sands easily and polishes to a mirror shine.

Good stuff :thumbup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:01 pm 

driving around with unbalanced wheels won't be the end of the world so long as its temporary, it will just be rather shakey and uncomfortable, from probably about 40-50mph upwards. like i said if its temporary it can be forgotten, but over the long term it will end up shaking the suspension, steering and braking systems apart, but that will take a lot of miles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:50 am 

The wheel bearings don't like it much either...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Cheers Rik, I'll get some of that

It would only be for a short time, <20-30 miles max @ <40mph.

Would it be cheaper to get the wheels balanced all together, or would it be similar to have one done at a time? (just taking the wheel to the garage not the car)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]