[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Wheel Spacers?
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wheel Spacers?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:27 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Coupe: gen3
Hi Guys,

I had a trip down to a tyre/Exhaust garage today to get my wheel balancing checked as when I drive over 60mph I get alot of vibration through the steering wheel. When the guy took the wheel off he noticed that it does not have Wheel spacers? so it does not fit flush which means when travelling at speed it will vibrate.
The wheels are not standard Hyundai alloys, They are 18" RS alloys.

Does anyone no what sort of wheel spacer I would need and where to find them as this vibrating is doing my head in :)

Thanks

Stuart

Post subject: Re: Wheel Spacers?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

:confused

Do you actually mean spacers - a (variable thickness) disk of metal that sits between the wheel and hub.

Or do you mean a SPIGOT RING - which is a small Nylon ring which should be located in the hub of the alloy...

I've never known of a need for spacers with alloys, the correct alloy will sit flush on the hub with no hassles or vibration.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Rik he did mention a spigot ring aswell as a spacer......I no nothing about cars so it sort of goes over my head. If it was missing Spigot rings would that cause the virbation and the alloy not to sit flush?.

Thanks for your advice so far:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 am 

I dunno mate, all the alloys I've bought have had 'em fitted already - and TBH, I dunno where you would go to find them. I'm guessing your local alloy wheel seller/fitter should be able to help you out. I still think they are barking up the wrong tree with regard to spacers, but it's a job to say given the wheels you have fittedas they are not Hyundai's native fitment...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:05 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

You can grab spigot rings off ebay for about a tenner.

You'll have to find out the measurement of the hub; this will be the inner diameter off the spigot ring.
And you'll have to find out the inner measurement of the alloy, where it sits onto the hub; this will be the outer diameter of the spigot ring.

Can't understand how a lack of spacers would cause vibration. Spacers are only used for clearance issues, ie. wider wheels than stock. Or for cosmetic reasons, to give the car a wider 'stance'.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 am 

If you have an early gen1 then you will have captive rotors which would cause the wheels to sit 'on the c*ck' if they don't have the corect recesses.

It would help if you had you version of coupe in your profile (its just a tick box) as it would help people to help you ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:15 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:57 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Scout: I have a 52 plate 2.7 V6 .....Not sure on the gen on these cars as I only got the coupe in Novemeber but as soon as im informed ill place the info in my profile ;) .

The person from the garage was saying somthing like if I got a spacer that was too big it would knock against the caliper? The wheels are quite wide and maybe wider than the average Hyundai alloy.
I purchased the car with these Alloys on already :(.

Ok I think the only thing to do is go hunting around for a alloy supplier as you guys suggested and let them take a look and hopefully get it solved :S.

Thanks

Stu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:01 pm 

He has a 2.7 V6 52 reg coupe... checked out his post history ;)

So as its a Gen3, he wont have captive rotors.

Lack of spigot rings could cause vibration, but wont definately do this... I neglected to purchasing them with mine when i got them and i didnt have any vibration. Basically the spigot ring will help centre the alloy correctly on the hub, but are not 100% needed.

As with what the rest have said, i doubt a lack of spacers would cause any vibration.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:06 pm 

Definately not captive rotors then. Another thing I have found is that some coupes/wheels are very sensitive to wheel weight position. My gen2 evo wheels had to have the stick on weights or the wheels vibrated like hell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:22 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:40 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

My 18" Kei Racing alloys wouldn't fit over the callipers with new brake pads, and when I bought the car I got a lot of vibration during braking (with very worn brake pads)

So come MoT time, the pads were replaced and we found the wheels wouldn't fit back on and had to quickly source some OEM wheels

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:53 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Ok to try and solve this problem I took the car to quick fit today for them to check the wheels out and they said I probebly needed upgraded spacers and it would cause vibration if they were not correct. Then I went to Halfrauds where I no one of the guys. He had a look at the wheels and noticed the wheels do have spacers on currently but are different sizes on one side plus they dont look in great condition :S . So he advised me to check out these:

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/ ... ct=3887724

He recommened getting 10mm and said they should fit alright, I think the spacers on the car at the moment are 5mm.

I didnt realise they would be this expensive though ;) .

Whats your views? Buy these or just save up and get new wheels when i have money :)

Cheers

Stu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:45 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pr-of-5-stud-whee ... 27ae7a251e

however

if you do need longer studs then that price is actually pretty good!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]