[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - One wheel spinning??
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ] 
 Post subject: One wheel spinning??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:50 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Just curious here, was told it wasent a problem and its normal but didnt understand why.

In the snow, i got stuck. well moving very slowly, my mate was next to me and noticed that my driver wheel was not moving, not spinning at all, but my passanger wheel was spinning. so why would only one wheel work? :confused

This i was confused on. anybody explain please? :shrug

Post subject: Re: One wheel spinning??
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:16 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Most cars have diffs, this alters the speeds when cornering, the outside wheel needs to go a lot further the the inside one, so the inside one hardly moves. For this to happen in a straightline suggest a problem with the diff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:41 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

YOU ARE DRIVING A NORMAL CAR, ON SNOW - THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.

To cure, fit snow chains or a snow socks or whatever, fit difflocks or buy studded tyres or a 4x4

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOUR CAR.

It's a characteristic of non-LSD type differentials that drive is transmitted to the side with the least grip. More reading to be found on howstuffworks.com...

Last edited by Rik'n'Vik on Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:56 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:23 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

:shrug Jesus...... Relax people. i asked a simple question for a simple answer. im NOT a mechanic hence forth i DO NOT KNOW.

We are not born with the knowledge of cars. i was curious.

you know the saying, you don't know untill you ask.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:24 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:27 pm 

...which is the wrong one:

Dude, there is nothing wrong with your car - your gearbox and diff is doing what it does. I can't make it any clearer.

Didn't mean to offend you, but it REALLY hacks me off when folk post up answers to non-existant problems. You'd have loved it if you'd buggered off up the garage to get a new gearbox thinking yours was shagged, I bet.

No worries and you're welcome :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

"curious here, was told it wasent a problem and its normal but didnt understand why."

I didnt actually say i thought there was something wrong with my car, my friend explained something about diffs but he also isnt a mechanic. so i thought id ask the experts because i am :pants with car stuff.

but thanks for the explanation lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:40 pm 

I'm no expert either mate, though I've spent enough hours over the last couple decades tinkering and generally fixing stuff to have picked up a bit of useful info. Hence why I continue to spend time on here even though I got shot of the Coupe ages ago...

Thing is, I remember my driving instructor explaining all about diffs and clutches and other driving-related matters when taking lessons. I guess that doesn't go on anymore. A great pity as more folks'd have an understanding of how to drive in inclement conditions...

No worries tho, now you know ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:45 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

LOL no nothing like that took place on my driving lessons. just how to drive, but iv only been driving 5 years lol and wud not dare try to mend my car, id break it lol i leave it to the experts :bow we know who me be speaking of.

But i do take everything on here with a pinch of salt and confirm with said expert. Ill read up on the website you provided. as like i stated, i was curious as to why. :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:58 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:50 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:22 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
indeed :D

and mrkieran that was a fair question ;)

I asked me Dad the same question a while back, see, we had the drivers side jacked up, anyhu, we where testin something or other, think I had a weird noise or something, so whilst the car was jacked up me Dad said start the engine and let the clutch up, needless to say I had to ask him if me car would drive off or not :lol

Sooo he explained that to me and now I know :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
every day we learn something new.great isnt it? :thumbup

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:42 pm 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]