[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Snow Chains or No Chains
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:56 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Snow Chains or No Chains
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:38 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Did a search and I don't think this subject has been broached.

I'm thinking of either this year or the next going on another ludicruous drive which will take in the French Alps in some form or another - maybe the Swiss ones n'all - the weather there is notoriously unpredictable. Last year it was rain which washed the roads away! Anyway, the weather over the Christmas period got me thinking about snow chains. I drove the Coupe over some pretty icy roads and survived by going carefully - it was certainly better than my other half's BMW. Rear wheel drive isn't very good!

However, has/does anyone use/d them on a Coupe - are they worth getting? Which make?

I've got a 57 plate SIII which has been lowered using the Eibach/Hyundai kit.

Ta.

Post subject: Re: Snow Chains or No Chains
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:10 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3
Me and my brother used the goodyear version of these snow socks when we did our trip through europe, worked awsome.

http://www.snowchains.co.uk/main/weisssock.htm#

there's a vid on that site so ya get the idea.

there was 1 ski resort that didn't like us using them though, but the rest of europe was fine with using them. smoother than using chains as they do my head in after about 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:51 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

This subject was broached slightly in ...

These Snowsock things, were they as currently found on eBay...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:58 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Yeah, my brother bought them from some outdoors type shop though. Look to be the same as what we used.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:36 pm 

How do they work then - I've seen snowchains, pretty easy to suss them out but these seem a bit special. I'd find them quite handy, got stuck on the camber of the damned road trying to do a 3-pointer the other day. Crazy :bang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
this may sound stupidly obvious here........but if you do get snow chains spend an afternoon practicing putting on.its no fun when its minus 10 and blizzard and you've gotta put em on

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:14 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Had to drive on some really icy roads coming back from Dublin today, and a set of snow chains would have been very handy. As far as I'm aware, snow chains aren't legal on Irish roads :confused . I might be wrong, but I'm sure I 'heard it somewhere before'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:27 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
i think you may find its more like england.nobody uses them so everybody thinks they are illegal.then again you irish do have funny ideas :shrug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:54 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:08 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed
Picking up a bit of speed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:42 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Thanks chaps. I'm going to get some snowsocks for the Coupe - better for lowered cars it seems as they are lower profile than chains. And a pair of chains for my Mrs's BMW.

Went out today to Frimley and it was ok. Trying to get out onto the mainroad was the worse bit - although I did have to dig my way out of the car park.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]