[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Anyone else finding their expensive tyres failing on ice?
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:17 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ] 
 Post subject: Anyone else finding their expensive tyres failing on ice?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5
Had to take my mum's car off the driveway to get to mine earlier, got it off after de-icing it, no fuss whatsoever, parked it up by the side of the house.

De-iced the coupe, got it off the driveway, but as soon as I so much as thought about touching the throttle the wheels just span, ESP light flashing like mad with very little forward motion :lol

Goodyear F1 Eagles: Amazing in the dry, Great in the wet, USELESS on the ice!

Post subject: Re: Anyone else finding their expensive tyres failing on ice?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:40 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

same here, toyo proxies, i get some grip to accelerate but cruising down the m23 i could feel the fronts losing and gaining grip constantly, wasnt a very confident drive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:05 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen3
No problems here in my village on proxies, they dont grit the village. Just the same on the open road where they grit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:23 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

to be fair my tread depth isnt great, not sure how much that helps when driving on what seems to be a blanket of ice!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:41 pm 

Coupe: SIII
no tyre is ment for ice, thats why ice studs and snow chains were made. i've got stuck 3 times with my goodyear f1's GSD3's on front and asymmetric on rear, and almost had to give up gettin home on the end of my road thanks to a short steep hill, but there was no way i was giving up...so found another way round :lol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:14 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
vredestein used to make excellent snow tyres,the wanli's i have on my car dont seem too bad tbh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 pm 
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Last edited by Rik'n'Vik on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:34 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

Coupe: Other

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 am 

its a completly different technique to drive on ice rather the just cold wet roads. winter tyres are designed for optimal grip below 5 degrees C

If you want to move on ice you don't just blat it and polish the snow/ice till their the clutch gives up or you wear through it(and i can put money on with one will happen first) you have to be gentle, slow and progressive, the same as driving off-road. oh and try not to brake, just let the car slow itself.

I've heard of people jumpin from first into 5th because they aparently 'get more grip', i just said to them 'well when your gearbox/clutch gives up the ghost ill replace it' you'll over ever get as much grip as your tyres want to give it so treat them well, keep them happy and they will give you all they have.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:41 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen3.5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:19 pm 

Yes I read the first post, mate and I would imagine that the tyre width you have is somewhat wider than that of your mother's vehicle. That is why you have to be a bit more careful with yours - less ground pressure, you see. I'm probably also correct in thinking that it is not a 2.7 V6...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:56 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

ooooooh rik dont get him on that one :bad or il have to tell him my 2.0 handles fine :rollin :rollin :rollin
car weight will have an effect as rik says there are many variables.in this weather though-as stated-none are better

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:03 am 
Red-lining
Red-lining

i find the v6 harder in the ice than the 2.0l its the xtra power and how it kicks in, its al about foot control

*moved to wheel, breaks, suspension - faz*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:59 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

yeah ESP has saved my buttocks a few times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:49 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:57 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

:lol good one

But to be fair - as said before - unless you have studed tyres - then nothing will hold you on the road at times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:58 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

true enough.studs or snow chains-which we use on coaches,sometimes just wont hold you either.it really is a no winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:17 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOODYEAR-CAR-SNOW ... 2c4dd84a6a

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:55 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

never seen that before! Can you see them actually working though? Interesting that

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:01 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

no idea and i wont be spending my cash to give you a demo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:54 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
i was under the impression that chains are now illegal in the uk?

correct me if i am wrong.

johny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:41 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

you have slightly the wrong end of the stick.the uk is one of the only countrys in eu with no legal requirement TO carry them

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:52 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I've actually heard very good stories about those snow socks, quite a few people I know have got them now and swear by them.

But as has been mentioned, no tyres are designed for snow except for studded snow tyres. Tread doesn't matter one bit on ice, in fact you're better off with less tread and therefore more grip.

All cars will handle completely different on ice, it depends on weight and distribution - some cars do better being lighter, some so better by being heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:13 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

snow socks............are they for on your feet?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen1
if i was worried i was going to get stuck
i'd just let the tyres down a bit.

johny

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:51 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

I've actually experienced totally the opposite - I've got Bridgestone Potenzas which are only a few months old and I was quite surprised with the amounts of grip since all this snow.

I would even put my neck on the line and say they are probably one of the best tyres on the market. (hence their steep price tag!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:21 am 

yeah as said the thinner tyres will help.

One thing that stops me from getting stuck is not to touch the go pedal. Just put it in first and gently let of the clutch. that should help get the car rolling. Seen lot of youngsters at work giving it the beans out of the car park and getting stuck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 pm 
Red-lining
Red-lining

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:36 pm 

see having the fast coupe on the forum isn't always as fun as it seems :lol :fingers

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:27 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

some of the gearbox and clutch options available could certainly give you grief!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:23 pm 

Some of the brains that control the throttles can be near as bad, if you belive all you read :rollin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

It only takes one look at the stacks of rwd BMW's and Mercs in the ditches to know that ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]