[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Knocking from offside front wheel, Help!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:34 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Knocking from offside front wheel, Help!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:50 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Oh I am having fun with her at the moment. :bang

Im sorry this is vague for now but I havent had time to look as it was dark when I got home last night and im at work all day today.

The car seems to have developed a knocking noise which appears to be coming from the front offside wheel. It is there on smooth or bumpy surfaces.

If i push the top of the offside wheel with my foot (fairly hard) you can hear a knock.
No sound from the nearside wheel.

Sound is not caused by braking or reving and nothing different was done to cause it. (developed after being in work car park) Sound seems to the whether I roll down the window or not.

Any ideas guys?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:16 am 

Coupe: gen3
have a look at , may sort your problem ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:19 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Cool, hopefully it is just this.

You talking about the top end of the strut at the top corner of the engine bay?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:42 am 
Yep, the Coupe is my life
Yep, the Coupe is my life

Yeah, the one in the middle mate. Holds the top end of the McPhearson strut in place. Must be something in the air, theres been a few of these work loose lately :confused

Hope thats all it is, quick fix if so :thumbup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

If it sounds like an can of de-icer banging about in the glove box then it's probably that nut under the rubber bung. Hand tighten it, test and then get someone with a torque wrench to do it up properly. Mine was very loose and could be spun round with my finger tips.

I blame speed bumps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I did take everything out of the glove box just incase.

Will definetly have a look later, just waiting on the better half to let me know when Sunday Lunch is before I head home :D

Cheers everyone, will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Literally had 30 seconds to look at this earlier.

Popped the bonnet.
Popped the rubber cap off.
Was able to turn the first nut I found by hand.

I then had to drop the bonnet and dash back to work so will investigate more tomorrow (will be dark soon)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:27 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

my car developed this after going over a nasty set of speed bumps, took it down to ATS and he checked the whole suspension and said all was perfect, he then checked the bolt at top (that he said should never work free unless loosened with a spanner etc) and bang problem solved both sides where finger tightening loose guy didnt even charge me :). another major safety fault that hyundai probably know about but dont want to act on? can't be just coincidence and the fact this is beyond checking for most mechanics proves it doesnt happen frequently with other cars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:57 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Managed to check this today and yep, this was the fault. FIXED!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Simply had loose nuts!

Incase anyone is wondering which bolts were are on about I have took a couple of pics.

Pop the bonnet and look at the back of the engine bay for these:

Pull off the rubber bung in the middle and behold the offending nut!

This should be tightened with a torque wrench to 40 - 50 Nm.

I dont have one so I just tightened it by hand and will find someone to borrow one off or buy one soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:45 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

you should keep an eye on this as mine kept coming loose only to find the thread had gone and i had to buy a new strut not trying to scare just a word of advice thats all and dont worry it cant fall off even if the nut comes completely off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:59 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Might be worth putting on some lock washers for those nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

I would reccomend using something like nutlock if not, its a blue liquid that goes on the thread and stops nuts coming lose via vibration. Used from factory in ps pump bolts etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:32 pm 

ah yes i have some of that stuff somewhere, need to check my nuts at some point to see if they need anything doing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ]