[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - DIY - Replacing the brake drums with discs and pads (Gen1+2)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:21 am

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: DIY - Replacing the brake drums with discs and pads (Gen1+2)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:38 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Coupe: gen2
(This is in several parts so sorry)

Time taken - 6 - 7 Hours (Factor in a few extra hours though)

You must have the rear axel from the 2litre sitting ready to go on (Including both handbrake cables and brake pipes from the 2litre (as the brake pipes are different)). IMO I would order two new brake pipes with them being ten years old and that, cost me £30 for two pipes though!

Right, firstly you want to get the car jacked up pretty much as high as you can, so jack one side up, stick it on axel stands. The height you should aim to achieve, well, my boot was next to my chest instead of next to me legs lol :rollin

After you have the car jacked up get inside the car and remove the centre console by taking the gear surround out and un-screwing the six screws as shown below:

Following this, slide the console forward until you can see the handbrake cable (you'll need the handbrake off for this) undo the bolt that I've pointed too, this bolt is a 12mm, when you have got this off slide this piece out and then be careful not to drop the gold piece the nut went through, when you have this off slide the handbrake cable around the side of the silver bar, and slide the cable out through the cut out, After this you need to un-bolt the bracket just behind the cable as shown below, these bolts are also 12mm from memory (I advise you cut down the middle of the carpet down to the indent of the centre console to make this easier)

Post subject: Replacing Brake Drums - Part 2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:45 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

After this you then need to get underneath the car and firstly, pull the handbrake cables through here:

Then you need to undo the bolt in the above picture, and the bolt on the chassis further back, as pictured: (These are also 12mm bolts aswell I think)

Following this you then un-screw the three bolts that hold the front tracking arm on, as pictured below ... (This is behind the sill about a foot from the rear wheel)

After this you then need to un-bolt the drop link bar so that it is dis-connected from the anti-roll bar, you will need a spanner to put on the nut as there is one on either side of where it bolts to the anti roll bar (annoyingly they changed the design on these for the Gen3 so they where a similar design to the track rod arm which makes them sooo much easier to work with)

Last edited by Hig on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Replacing Brake Drums - Part 3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:49 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Following this, clamp the brake line as pictured below and then dis-connect it from the rear drums (you clamp the lines to prevent loosing too much brake fluid) and then dis-connect the brake line bracket from the leg.

After this remove the exhaust bracket from the axel, and then take out one bolt from each side of the axel, and loosen off the other two as pictured below:

Before you can drop the axel you need to go into the boot, remove the parcel shelf, un-screw the four screws out of the plastic cover (where the boot sits) and then un-bolt the metal plate underneath this (three 10mm nuts) and then you can dis-connect the three bolts that hold the leg in place) When you have done this get a jack under the axel and undo those two bolts you loosened and then it will drop off and you are halfway there.

Last edited by Hig on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Replacing Brake Drums - Part 4
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:53 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Putting the axel back on is pretty much the reverse of the above, only thing that is different is that you will need to bleed the brakes, it is up to you how you do it but we did it by taking the rubber cover off, loosening the nut and then gravity feedin the fluid through, works very well, but you can do it by pumping the brakes if you wish ... just let a little puddle appear on the floor and then you can tighten that nut back up, put the rubber cover back on and that should be fine. (You may want to buy some brake fluid in case you need to top up, I topped up whilst we had a little bit spare)

This is also a great opportunity to get those calipers painted so I'd advise you get them fully painted up before they go on! Btw, adjusting the handbrake takes ages but it will get there eventually honest :rollin

Now I have had a word with Dad and he has said he would consider doing this job but I can't guarantee it would be cheap if we did it as it is a relatively big job.

Disclaimer - With this being a significant part of the car I feel the need to say that you do this at your own risk, the process above is exactly as I did mine, and I have been running it for a few days and everything is working fine for me.

Last edited by Hig on Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach
Coupe: gen3
nice guide hig.well done :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:54 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

nice job hig well done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:56 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

thanks Daz, you don't miss a thing do you! I only finished it 30 second ago :rollin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:58 am 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

nothing escapes my notice.......even sarcastic signatures :rollin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:49 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:26 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject: Re: Replacing Brake Drums - Part 3
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:40 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

[/quote]

in this pic. the 4 arms that bolt onto the back of the disc, well ones the shock, but whats the other 3? also whats the bit of metal on the back which all 4 bolt onto called?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]