[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - brakes from other cars....
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:52 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: brakes from other cars....
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 pm 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen3
if the PCD, offset and bore size are the same can brakes from another car be ut onto the coupe easily?

for example, im only assuming that the rx8 has better brakes than the coupe as its an actual performance car, so if you found an rx8 that was breaking for spares, and paid less than new *big brake upgrades* which are only slightly bigger anyway and still only 2-pot, could you buy the used rx8 brakes and have them bolted straight on no mess no fuss at a garage so not having to pay massive labour bills?

anyone know the comparison of rx8 brakes to coupe brakes (v6 if theyre any different in size etc)???

also noticed the mazda 6 mps has the same pcd, offset and bore etc too and would imagine that would need hefty brakes but wont be many if any breaking lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:10 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Location: anywhere in europe at any one time......but mostly sandbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:29 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:17 pm 

if i was gonna go aftermarket id go with k-sport, may not be the best name but for 1k each (front and rear seperate) can get 14" 8pot fronts and 14" 6pot rears... cant argue lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:03 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:08 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Reality is that if it was easy and cheap to do an upgrade, people would do it a lot.

If your brake kit isn't intended for the car it's on then you're on thin ice as it is, especially if you start getting stuff welded. Welded?! On your brakes?!

If you've got brakes held on by brackets which your local garage have welded on and one of the welds goes (not unlikely considering the forces trying to rip your brakes off) then you are dead - end of.

Bear in mind that the number of pistons isn't everything - 8-pot brakes aren't used by any decent manufacturers because if you do things properly then it's not needed. They're only there for the "higher numbers = better" crowd.

I'd agree with K-Sports - the arguments against them seem to be from people who've bought £4k Alcons and say that K-Sports are just copying the design. Well if that's the case then I'm fine with that, no problems at all. They won't be as great as a big-name kit but they'll be far better than the standard brakes.

Also if you start going for silly brakes (13" up) you're going to really struggle to find wheels that fit over them. You're at least looking at 18s, and even then you'll end up having to go for the higher end of the market to get the clearances. Believe me, it's pain.

I've got standard calipers, vented disks and EBC pads and that has always been more than enough for numerous track days and the Nurburgring. Spend your money on better suspension and tyres and you won't need a brake upgrade.

O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

i was thinking vented discs and sfr lightweight calipers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:32 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 am 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

The brakes from an XG (Grandeur I think it is over here) will apparently fit and have been done many times - I think they're a vented 12" kit if memory serves.

Upside - perfect fit, OEM, they'll be spot on.

Downside - I asked Hyundai and they can't look up, for instance, "Grandeur brakes" and just order them - they need the registration number of a car of the model you need, they can get the parts from there. They'll happily order them for you, but bear in mind if they don't fit or require modification Hyundai won't be interested and you'll have yourself a set of fairly expensive brakes on your hands you can't use.

As Callum says it's far easier with cars like Fords - lots in the range, lots in scrappies and especially if you're in their smallest car you can only upgrade!

I believe that the only way of getting a decent upgrade is to splash the cash and go for an SFR or KSport kit unfortunately. There are many places I'm willing to scrimp on to save cash, my brakes is not one of them :)

O.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:13 pm 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Damn right, if you can find some then that'd be very nice - less money = less risk as you say.

I know PC used to do a 12" kit and that's exactly what it was, however the downside of that being that when it turned up it'd actually be a gearstick from a Ford Orion.

The problem I found was finding a breaker who had parts from such a rare car.

Best of luck matey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

I'm on the case too now, I'm intregued. There's one going on fleaBay so I've emailed the seller for the prices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:27 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:29 pm 
I'm really motoring now
I'm really motoring now

Looks like it has to be the post 2004 model too, the previous XG350 had 11 inch discs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:02 am 
Super Acceleration
Super Acceleration

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:34 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]