[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - Brakes for track use - help!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Brakes for track use - help!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:38 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Hi guys, newbie here so please be nice!

A little background first...
I'm from England but work in Qatar during term time. I bought a 2.7 V6 coupe over there and am intending to enter it for the sprint events at the international circuit, just for giggles. It is currently my daily driver but I have a backup incase it dies:(

The problem I'm having is finding a good set of brakes for track and road use, in everyday high temperatures (think 40 degrees+ on most days).
I know EBC have their red and green stuff, but it would seem that yellow stuff would be what I'm after...except they don't do that for the coupe:(

Suggestions would be welcome!
Thanks

(oooh if anyone's aware of a good place to buy FIA approved overalls that would be handy too..I'm close to buying the sparco sprint suit for £260ish)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:51 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

Coupe: gen1
Qatar eh? you heard anything more on the Brazil V England game over there mate?

Redstuff are quality pads, i was using them on my coupe before i did the big brake conversion but it all depends what you want, if you just want pads then redstuff but they need warming up first, if its the entire brake setup look into braided hoses and a bigger brake kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:07 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

no, sorry bud, heard nothing...I left last week to escape the heat. England are going to have a hard time unless they have had time to adjust to playing in 40-50 degree heat with high humidity. Brazil have the natural advantage in that respect.
Brake wise I'm looking mostly for pads as i had the discs changed last year, unless there are some groved and slotted brakes going cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:25 pm 
My Coupe owns me!
My Coupe owns me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:22 pm 

November the 14th it is then, Ill be over there no doubt.

Drilled and grooved discs dont actually make too much difference IMO, apparently they dissipate heat quicker to stop brake fade but how often is it that you will actually get brake fade anyway? add the fact that every single time the brakes press down you are basically pushing something against a cheese grater, my pads lasted me little over 5000 miles of normal road driving so wouldnt really recommend to be honest.

Either go for some EBC yellow/redstuff pads (i believe the Gen1 is the same as a 200sx so the gen3/3.5 might be the same as another car, may be worth giving EBC or one of its distributors a quick call)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:35 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:19 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:10 pm 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Yup and they are being really funny with drinking at the moment, before easter is was never a problem, now in most places you need to be a 'member' or hand over your residents ID or passport to be photocopied, which is causing huge lines at entrance.
Some places are getting really funny with dress now...especially with the girls (shirt, shoes, nothing too tight or revealing blah blah blah), rumour has it they did this because Qatari's (well the women) had been going into bars and being bad muslims, I dunno it's a funny old place.
Expect to pay around £4-5 a pint, up to £10 for a Corona at some of the pricer places.

Either the Marriott or Ramada hotel are your best bets, both have several bars and a night club and are not too crazy when it comes to getting into the bars or clubs...may be able to get you a discount at the Marriott when I get back.

Being drunk is techinally illegal although in the hotels they are alright as long as you don't disturb any of the guests. Being drunk in public will most probably get you sent home :s

Women are mostly taken (the ratio is 3 men for every women), and the ones that are not tend to be swarmed by guys...who are not exactly subtle (brought a friend over for a holiday once and they were literally STARING at her), although being british will up your chances a bit. I have also heard of some working in the "hotel business" but never seen any with my own eyes.
Oh and do NOT try to hit on any of the arab ladies...especially the Qatari ones, that's an instant "do not pass go, do not collect £200 moment".

If you're a motor racing fan they have events at Losail Circuit most weekends which are dirt cheap to get into (£10 for the GP2/Speedcar series, free for most local events), and it's not to far from Doha. On the 12th, 13th and 14th November it's the FIM Endurance World Championships - 8 hours of superbike mayhem.

How the hell did your friend get shot? and secondly why Kyrgyzstan? that's a bit backwaters as far as tourist destinations go!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:29 pm 

Well aswell as my addiction to modding the coupe, i also follow England everywhere, only missed 1 away game in 9 years now, not bad for a 23 year old lol.

We were doing abit of a trip around Kazakhstan and Kyrgystan before the Kazakhstan V England game last month, seems like we went into the wrong pub, 15 of us went in and ordered our beer, in the corner one of the locals was going mental but in his own language (and unfortunately none of the 15 of us were at all fluent in kyrgystani), just before our beers arrive he leaves the bar, we thought nothing of it until he returned a couple of minutes later and put a gun on the table!!!

now we didnt just want to leave as we generally thought that we would just get shot in the back, so one of the lads went to the bar and raised the point with one of the bar staff (who turned out to be the manager), she promptly went into the back to get a plate of food (that it seems the psycho had ordered just before we got there), and walked to his table, moved his gun into the middle of his table and put his plate down, she then returned behind the bar and picked the phone up to call the police, 5 seconds later BANG! and the lad on the end of the table had a bullet in his leg!

Qatar should be fine though mate, we're all pretty experienced travellers, lol and we're mainly there for the beer and football, not the women lol, Should be a good trip though mate, different to the usual ones anyway

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]