[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4763: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site Forum • View topic - My Wheels sound funny too!
The UK Hyundai Coupe Site
Main Site    Coupe Models    Gallery    News    Supercharged Coupe    Readers Coupes    Links    Tuning    Events    D.I.Y.   Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 pm

Unfortunately no new posts or members are permitted,
however the forums will remain as an archive to retain all the useful information collected over the years.

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome Guest! Feel free to peruse the site, or Register to get the full benefits.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: My Wheels sound funny too!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:40 pm 

Hey everyone, first time poster here but hopefully you will be seeing more of me soon when I get some more ££ to spend on the motor.

Anyway just like andyshan , my wheel has started to make a pequilar sound, must be the time of year for it eh?

Much like andy its quite a constant noise which is totally linked to the wheel rotation rather than engine revs, so I have pretty much narrowed it down to the tire or the bearing (its the nearside front wheel btw). Unlike andy my noise isn't squeaky in the least, more like a low dull groan (I guess?!?) which kinda repeats (obviously due to a certain point in the rotation or the tire/bearing).

When I get back tonight from work i'm gonna put the car up on a jack and check if the tire tread it alright but failing that I guess I will have to get the bearing sorted, so heres my questions......

Is it technically safe to be driving on a bad bearing? I will still have to drive into work tommorow at the least on it. And secondly, does anyone have an idea of the sort of price I will be looking at for a new bearing at the front and the best place to get one?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

normally when a bearing gets really bad you cant hear yourself think and if you keep driving on it the wheel will come off.

however, i have been told on this forum before (by MJNewton i think) that a shot bearing on a hyundai doesnt always make a huge noise - different in my experience as mine was unbearable when it went. i drove round for ages as i couldnt get it booked in for a week or so and it was fine - whether you want to risk it or not is up to you, but i would sugest getting it fixed asap.

get it checked out doesnt sound like tyre noise to me from what you described but i could be completly wrong!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:04 am 
Picking up a bit of speed

What year of car have you got ? Mines a gen 1, year 2000 and is in the garage as we speak having the nearside front bearing replaced.
It sounded like a rear offside and even went quiet when taking right hand turns. Took it to a friendly local tyre place and they jacked it and spun the wheels and you could hear it quite clearly.

They quoted me £135 but the garage where I've put it to have quoted me £165. The only reason it's in the more expensive of the 2 is that they did my front disks and pads last January and the car's done less than 10,000 miles since. The disks always stick on which often means new ones are required when having a front bearing done - because the mechanics smack the hell out of them. I figure if I get this problem then I can argue that they didn't grease it up properly last time.

Hopefully yours will come off easily but it's probably best to get a garage that's done it before to do it again. The garage where mine is in have given me a courtesy car because they know it will take a while to do. They said they will call me when it's ready, I expect the call on Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:22 pm 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

ahh yes i thought they were jokeing when they said they had to cut both front discs off to replace the bearing - total bill was about around 320 i think.

common problem to bear in mind!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:41 pm 

Ouch that hurts ! That's what I had last time, I really should have had both fronts done at the same time.
Garage just phoned me to say mine is ready with no problems, damn was hoping to keep the courtesy car for the weekend, it would be the fastest car on the roads :lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:51 am 
Free-wheeling
Free-wheeling

Post subject: Bearing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:32 am 
Coupe pedal-car
Coupe pedal-car

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]